+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Who's in charge? in Technical; Hi We have a VLE setup by our RBC but as yet no-one has done anything with it. Who's responsibility ...
    Thank Post

Who's in charge?

Hi

We have a VLE setup by our RBC but as yet no-one has done anything with it. Who's responsibility is it to make sure its up and running, maintained, etc. Is it the head of ICT, me as the Network manager, who?

I would apreciate any help on this

Thank Post
    if it's a VLE, then it's up to the staff to make use of it. You can't see chemistry homework can you?

and the RBC should look after it, as they host the site

Thank Post
    Probably you! Teachers will only provide the content.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 1,340 Posts
    The RBC should be responsible for all maintenance etc... then, how can you have a vle put upon you and have had no input into it?

The content creation is down to the teachers and anyone else paid to put content on it unless you have the time and a teaching degree?

Ben

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I set up department pages, and still help out if needed on ours.

Seems a good compromise with teachers adding the content.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hate to pass the buck but it is up to the school leadership as to who is responsible for it.

If the leadership in your school are not switched on to what happens with the VLE then you will struggle anyway.

The admin *cannot* be done by a teacher due to the 24 tasks ... but deciding on the design, structure, implementation and use really should be done by a small group to form good practice and should involved both you and the teachers. It does not ahve to be the Head of ICT ... VLEs have little to do with ICT as a subject anymore than it does for music or history. But in some schools anything vaguely computerish comes under the umbrella of the Head of ICT or ICT co-ordinator.

Thank Post
    I must agree with Grumbledook.... you need SLT to back the use of the VLE so that teaching staff will add the content necessary for it to become successful. It will only ever be as good as the content that is added.

You may find it useful for SLT to designate a number of teachers (one from each department) to promote the use of the VLE so that ownership is dished oout properly. Forcing the use of it is certainly not the way to go though because teachers WILL resent it and will simply ignore the VLE at all costs.

Thank Post
    I'm going to be solely "doing" the VLE two days a week (must get my job description changed). The school's ICTAC (ICT Across the Curriculum) members are responsible for their faculties and get their work together. This all comes to me, and I sit down and discuss with each teacher exactly what it is they want a particular piece of work to achieve, then I prepare it for publication, check with teacher again, then publish it. OK, that's the theory

Thank Post

Unhappy Not the teckie

The management and organisation of a vle,le,lg or whatever you call it should be down to the schools management. A member of the schools SLT should have responsisbility. They should manage the process, ensure there are resources avaialble ( human and other ).

In my experience where the SLT has passed responsibility to technicians, the vle has not developed has it should.

That is not the fault of technicians or network managers but the SLT as they have not grasped the importance of the VLE and its potential.

As an aside I have seen some schools where the network manager or technician have done some excellent work with little SLT support. They have done this often beyond their normal duties and have moved the vle forward in their schools.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread