+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Sharepoint based LMS by ElearningForce in Technical; MOSS 2007 could get even better with use of SharePointLMS. It's a new learning management system by ElearningForce. I've seen ...

Thank Post

Lightbulb Sharepoint based LMS by ElearningForce

MOSS 2007 could get even better with use of SharePointLMS. It's a new learning management system by ElearningForce. I've seen their online presentation and system is quite impressive. They didn't say much about pricing on their site http://www.sharepointlms.com/, but i think it will not be more expensive then their JoomlaLMS.

Thank Post

licensing

dont forget that on top of whatever cost this LMS is, you will have the licenses for MOSP 2007 server and cals... which for us was about 12,000

we went with moodle 0

Thank Post

Re:

Yeah. You are right, mate. But that will be good solution for those who already got moss. Actually I've heard MS gives moss licenses for educational institutions for good prices (around 150 if I'm not wrong).
    I'm not familiar with moodle very much. So it is very hard for me to say what the pros and cons comparing these two. But I've heard some good testimonials about EF support and their JoomlaLMS so i think this system will not be worse then their previous one.
    I just know that some solutions like this for Sharepoint could be very expensive
    i.e. by intralearn...

>>we went with moodle 0
    how about the time spending to make it work? was it very hard to install it, tune, etc.?

Thank Post
    the cost of sharepoint isn't that much if you have a schools agreement - the student desktop program includes all the CALs you need and Office programs. Something like 37 a year and then you can get your sharepoint - out right for around 700 <- educational pricing

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The problem for those of us without Schools Agreement is that it suddenly adds a very large cost onto you annual budget. If you make a concerted choice to move to it as a model as part of a major outlay it is one thing but for a school that has slowly expanded it can be terrible. We have 600+ machines ... it is easier for us to miss a version of office out and then get fresh or upgrade licences when needed.

Back to the OP, there are many good methods of implementing MOSS 2007, and schools should be aware of what the Full portal offers, including the use of Office Comunications Server 2008.

There have been a number of good webcasts recently to go through the different possibilities (check out the EduGeek Calendar for details of other forthcoming MS webcasts).

Personally I think that careful and considered use of the platform, thinking about how you are going to structure it, audience and target particular areas, make sure you have the right groups and permissions and then use tools like those from Courselabs, then you can get into Sharepoint Designer to start making some decent templates (other editing tools are available and usable) ... that is the best way of getting the most out of MOSS. I was not overly impressed by SharepointLMS. A bit too basic and whilst useful for a school without any skills to implement even WSS v3 on their own, I think most of us here we quickly get past the standard build, and although the tools are not too bad for creating resources, I am tending to concentrate an ensuring there are a number of easily imported resources from the companies we already get resources from (Heinneman, Boardwards now do SCORM 2004 versions for a good amount of their stuff!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I was not overly impressed by SharepointLMS. A bit too basic .....
    Hi Tony,

That is weird as I thought I sent you a PM to invite you to a preview of SharePointLMS as you were kind enough to call me when we were promoting our JoomlaLMS and you advised me about your implementation of SLK in your County. As you have done a large implementation of SLK (i.e. the SLK Guru) I would appreciate your feedback on SharePointLMS and would also like to know why you think it is too basic despite the very advanced features it has to offer, Microsoft are very enthusiastic about SharePointLMS and are backing this application?

Anyhow if you would still like me to give you a demo drop me a line info @ elearningforce.co.uk or call me on 0845 508 4734

Paul

Thank Post

Re:

Why you think it is too basic despite the very advanced features it has to offer?
    I've seen they even become ICV Microsoft partners because of that system!

Thank Post
    So is sharepointLMS something that a person with the required knowledge would be able to create themselves or does it add additional functionality not found in MOSS 07?

Ta

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dagza View Post
    So is sharepointLMS something that a person with the required knowledge would be able to create themselves or does it add additional functionality not found in MOSS 07?

Ta
    Hi

No, it is not standard SP functionality that can be brought out but a newly developed application.

SharePointLMS has many features such as a Learning Path, Quizzes, Dropbox, Home Work, Attendance, GradeBooks, Chat, Conference etc etc.

Where applicable it will utilise some of the standard SP functionality, in these cases we have also added functionality, for instance the Document Library with SharePointLMS is able to link files to the courses library reducing the need for administration, i.e. a Teacher can have a single document in their library and link this to multiple courses. We have also created the ability to sort the order of documents, something that is not possible in the standard SP Document Library.

We have also developed Webparts to show Announcements, Calendar Events, Drop Box and Home Work assignments, apart from on the LMS Homepage and course Homepage these can also be used on the 'My Site' pages giving the student a quick overview of what he or she should be doing without visiting the LMS.

Finally it is SCORM 1.2 & 2004 compliant and is also able to import BlackBoard courses.

There is a tutorial you can visit at www.sharepointlms.com which will show all the functionality. Alternatively I will be more then happy to give you a demo on it.

Paul

Thank Post
    Thanks a lot for the information.

I only came across this product this morning via the TES forum. I am going to have a meeting with my line manager tomorrow to see if there is a better way forward than SLK and I will be using this as one alternative ways forward that I want to look at.

It adds a few things I miss from my moodle days. I was particuarly interested in the course feature I saw on the tutorial vids I saw this morning (without sound) and was hoping you would be able to eloborate on this aspect of the LMS further.

Also are there any plans to get it to talk to MIS like Facility CMIS?

Darren
    Last edited by dagza; 28th February 2008 at 08:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dagza View Post

Also are there any plans to get it to talk to MIS like Facility CMIS?

Darren
    Hi Darren,

Yes there are, along with other MIS Systems. More info to follow soon....

Paul

Thank Post

SharePoint Based Communication Portal and LMS

Hi All,

I would be grateful to those of you who are SharePoint and LMS knowledgeable if you might review the SharePoint LMS and Education Portal product shown on my YouTube channel keyword "AppointLink."

I only post this because it seems appropriate to the SharePoint LMS discussion at hand.

Best,

Dan

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread