+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Staffordshire SLN2? in Technical; Not in Staffordshire, but interested in what is going on there. If you are using SharePoint onsite and SIMS SLG2 ...

Thank Post
    Not in Staffordshire, but interested in what is going on there. If you are using SharePoint onsite and SIMS SLG2 then you might want to look at the kraal - SharePoint Design, Web Parts, and ICT in the Online Education Community

Seems to me that to move away from SharePoint is a backward step. Especially if you want to use SIMS web parts and be able to write back to SIMS remotely.

Thank Post
    I think what Mark said is correct. Sharepoint is powerful. It is complex. It needs resource even if you are using a hosted solution. Equally it needs support and understanding from a schools management. Unfortunately it does not do it unless you put something in to.

The successful sharepoint learning gateway implementations are the ones where schools have invested not only in the technology but change management, content and extras.

The not so successful ones are where the head has passed it on to the IT support. Thats the same as going in to a boxing ring with one hand tied behind your back.

3. Thanks to NewOrder from:

funkyfin2000 (30th January 2009)

Thank Post
    We have been using moodle for some time and are convinced that an off-site VLE would be a disaster. It looks like we will be 'bullied' into using SLN2 simply because of the ILP.
    Anyone else under the same pressure?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tim-atton View Post
    We have been using moodle for some time and are convinced that an off-site VLE would be a disaster. It looks like we will be 'bullied' into using SLN2 simply because of the ILP.
    Anyone else under the same pressure?
    Why not ask if you can have a hosted solution that links to your inhouse?

Thank Post
    Staffordshire County Council will not supply the 3 main components of SLN2 seperately. If we have the ILP we must also have their parental gateway & Kaliedos as the VLE. They are all integrated.

We have asked if we can just buy the ILP and they have said that this would cost more to buy on its own than it would cost to have the whole SLN2 package.

Thank Post
    yes im from stafford and yes in school and its ok

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hello Kirtsy

Welcome to the forum.

We should probably make it clear that you are student at the school (well looking into you seem to be if I am wrong then please accept my apologies). Just thought I better say so other members can see that you are basing your view from a students perspective (which is important do not get me wrong)

Regards

Russell

Thank Post
    I have been getting some staff to use this and they are quite liking it. we have had students on it also and did a survey after to guage their responses and they were very positive. the only neg coent was speed. but i am aware of a upgrade that is planned soon to boost the back end.... all in all looking forward

Thank Post

SLN2

Yes we are using it and I would like to pick up on what another poster said. I was in process of setting up moodle and by time I managed to get it working SLN2 came out, which is supported by Staffordshire (where are Moodle you are off googling and faffing about in various forums trying to find out why WAMP thingy won't work, which I ain't got time for lol)

Yes it is sloooow but the reason for this is obvious (hosted externally) so not good, also they have been trying for a while now to get DX2 upgrade out with embarrising consequences (3rd time lucky). To be honest by the time you have bought own server and installed say Moodle and faffed about with it you maybe better off just excepting the inevitable. I don't like RM anymore than the next person but it does what it says on the tin, and saves me trawling through forums for answers when problems arise, just get straight on phone to SLT.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by firefox_2006 View Post
    Yes we are using it and I would like to pick up on what another poster said. I was in process of setting up moodle and by time I managed to get it working SLN2 came out, which is supported by Staffordshire (where are Moodle you are off googling and faffing about in various forums trying to find out why WAMP thingy won't work, which I ain't got time for lol)

Yes it is sloooow but the reason for this is obvious (hosted externally) so not good, also they have been trying for a while now to get DX2 upgrade out with embarrising consequences (3rd time lucky). To be honest by the time you have bought own server and installed say Moodle and faffed about with it you maybe better off just excepting the inevitable. I don't like RM anymore than the next person but it does what it says on the tin, and saves me trawling through forums for answers when problems arise, just get straight on phone to SLT.
    slt (staffordshire learning tech not sen leadership team) are a great bunch they save me sooo much time. i would be lost with out both slt and edugeek (and a good pint at the end of the week!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12