+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Hot Potatoes in Technical; I've just been handed next week's Y5 Literacy Planning sheet and it involves using Hot Potatoes. I've looked on their ...

Thank Post

Hot Potatoes

I've just been handed next week's Y5 Literacy Planning sheet and it involves using Hot Potatoes. I've looked on their site and this looks a bit of a con. If you are in education, you can use it for free as long as you make your results available on-line. It looks like this is done through hotpotatoes.net, which is a subscription based service.

Have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    not con it is very good peice of software and you upload it to your own site if i remember right just has to be online.

http://www.halfbakedsoftware.com/hot_pot_licence.php

Do I Need a Licence?

Hot Potatoes is free for use by individuals working for state-funded educational institutions which are non-profit making, on the condition that the material you produce using the program is freely available to anyone via the WWW. However, you need to purchase a licence under any of the following conditions:

* You are working for a company or corporation, or an educational institution which is not state-funded.
    * You are in business for yourself.
    * You charge money for access to the material you make with Hot Potatoes.
    * You do not make the material freely available through the WWW.
    Russell

Thank Post
    I'm not aware that you have to subscribe, and you dont get made to upload your resources.......

Thank Post

it's not a con

and you don't have to put them online - you can use them on an IWB - what they mean is - if you put them on a site you mustn't charge for people to access them.However, you can put them on a VLE which is password protected even though that is not 'freely' available because it is educational not business. Great piece of software.

Thank Post
    The good thing about it is that it easy for the average teacher to use and that you can import the quizzes directly into Moodle.

Highly recommended.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by secretlife View Post
    and you don't have to put them online - you can use them on an IWB - what they mean is - if you put them on a site you mustn't charge for people to access them.However, you can put them on a VLE which is password protected even though that is not 'freely' available because it is educational not business. Great piece of software.
    Ermm take a look at the license Russ put up
    on the condition that the material you produce using the program is freely available to anyone via the WWW
    & that is for the educational license. So if you put them on a passworded VLE then they are not freely available to anyone. BUt I guess it comes down to if you think they are going to check or not just like any other piece of software

Thank Post

so..

is it the case that all schools who use hopotatoes within their moodle will have bought a licence? (don't know - just asking)

Thank Post
    Would you expect the average Y5 kid to be able to use Hot Potatoes. Their literacy module involves exploring a previously unseen piece of software, without being told what the software does or how it works. The challenge is for children to work out this for themselves by navigating through the application and finding solutions to problems. Allow children to use the software's built in help files but avoid explicitly directing them to do so.

The recommended software for this is Hot Potatoes. I wonder if they mean to use files generated by Hotspud, so I have made up some quizzes based on Ancient Greece which is the history module they have just finished. Ofsted are coming in next week and I'm not sure it is a good idea for them to tackle something this complex.

Thank Post
    do you mean the year 5s were meant to generate their own quizzes using hotpotatoes? Not impossible but would involve a fair bit of help I'd have thought - maybe they must mean , as you've done, use files already made by you? Also - depends what they mean by 'explore' - if they just mean simply clicking on the potatoes and working out that it's a program for making matchups/quizzes/gapfills etc - they might be able to achieve that, but as for making one of their own - no; I wouldn't have thought so.
    Last edited by secretlife; 15th January 2008 at 03:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks, I'll go with what I've got and if Ofsted do poke their heads in they can see we are using ICT as a "cross-curriculum platform" Not that they will, I think they must be scared of technology (or ICT Technicians)

Thank Post
    We used the Ancient Greek thing today with a bottom set Y6 Lit class. They loved it and the Lit. Coordinator was ecstatic. The funny thing is that this is a DFES module on writing concise instructions and we couldn't comprehend theirs!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    . The funny thing is ...
    Doesn't surprise me in the least!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread