+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle Error Following Upgrade of My SQL from 5.1 to 5.5 in Technical; I've upgraded MySQL from 5.1 to 5.5, in preparation for upgrading to the latest version of Moodle. After backing up ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    16
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Moodle Error Following Upgrade of My SQL from 5.1 to 5.5

    I've upgraded MySQL from 5.1 to 5.5, in preparation for upgrading to the latest version of Moodle. After backing up the Moodle DB using PHPmyadmin, uninstalling MySQL 5.1 and installing 5.5, I've then restored the moodle DB using PHPmyadmin and added a user, granting all privileges to the database. I've then run mysql_upgrade on the db. When I try to browse to Moodle I get the following errror:

    Error: Database connection failed

    It is possible that the database is overloaded or otherwise not running properly.

    The site administrator should also check that the database details have been correctly specified in config.php

    I've checked the details in config.php and they've not changed, so I'm at a loss what to do. I'm on Windows 2008 R2.

    Can anyone let me have some advice?

    Thanks,

    Michael

  2. #2
    penfold_99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,003
    Thank Post
    60
    Thanked 167 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    69
    Is the mysql service running?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    16
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    11
    Yes, the service is running. I can access the db fine from PHPmyadmin

  4. #4

    unixman_again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    933
    Thank Post
    35
    Thanked 173 Times in 133 Posts
    Rep Power
    142
    Can you connect to the database using the cmd prompt? Something like c:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.5\bin\mysql.exe -D moodle -u moodleuser -p
    Also connect as root, and look at the users & db tables, making sure all of the grants are correct.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    16
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    11
    Thanks for the suggestion - I can connect both as root and moodleuser, via command prompt. I've checked the privileges on the db and granted full moodleuser

  6. #6
    penfold_99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,003
    Thank Post
    60
    Thanked 167 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    69
    In your config file are you using mysql or mysqli? It needs to be the latter.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    16
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    11
    Yeah, mysqli

  8. #8
    penfold_99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,003
    Thank Post
    60
    Thanked 167 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    69
    Have you restarted you webserver?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    16
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    11
    Yes, I've restarted it a few times. It's really baffling me.

  10. #10

    unixman_again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    933
    Thank Post
    35
    Thanked 173 Times in 133 Posts
    Rep Power
    142
    Here's a really off the wall suggestion, but it has helped me in the past. Install Apache and use that rather than IIS. You might see something of use in the error log. I had to do this when IIS was reporting a 500 error but not logging any more than that.

  11. #11
    OverWorked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    N. Yorks
    Posts
    1,031
    Thank Post
    202
    Thanked 42 Times in 34 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    I've just had the same issue. I'm not at all familiar with MySQL so had me stuck for a while.

    My solution was to use the MySQL workbench to import the moodle schema from the backup sql file (had to create a moodle schema to restore to). Recreate the moodleuser account and just gave it full DBA privileges (I don't know what it's supposed to have, but I'll correct that later).

    It looks like you may have tried all this, so sorry if this doesn't help.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. [SIMS] General SQL Error aftering upgrading to FMS 6.136
    By adamf in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22nd December 2010, 12:24 PM
  2. Human error the cause of WGA meltdown
    By FN-GM in forum IT News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2nd September 2007, 02:01 AM
  3. Dell - 1hr of my life wasted.
    By SteveB_NI in forum Bad Experiences
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 8th June 2007, 08:30 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27th May 2007, 04:19 PM
  5. CD Ripping 'The Bain of My Life'
    By ICTNUT in forum Windows
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30th September 2005, 04:29 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •