+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Unintuitve Moodle in Technical; @mge PM sent - but please don't work on it unless very very bored (or needing to escape outlaws ) ...

Thank Post

Re: Unintuitve Moodle

@mge

PM sent - but please don't work on it unless very very bored (or needing to escape outlaws )

regards

Simon

Thank Post

I dont understand where to confusion is......

Front page settings, tick add topic section, as it appears you have done this already you the need to go back to the front page.

On the front page 'Turn Editing on' you should then see a topic box appear at the top of the page above site news, catergories or courses. Its should have two drops downs, add resources and add activities. There should also be an update icon top left of the new topic box where you can add your welcome message etc....

Moodle is easy....

Thank Post

There should also be an update icon top left of the new topic box where you can add your welcome message etc....
    Beneath the sign saying beware the leopard....

Thanks for the info

The prosecution now rests ....

@mge

Keep the logon - I'm sure I'll need your help again one day

regards
    Simon

PS - I remember now ... I did the Hoole front page while I was actually on the course and had experts showing me how!

Thank Post

@mge
    re your PM about you not having admin rights

Where the b&^%*y hell do I make you an administrator

I'm in accounts - users - select you - click on roles - make you an admin (along with me) - try logging on as you - as you say - no boxes to let you do anything.

This software is absolute b*&^%ks.

Simon

Thank Post

Simple Si - sorry if you have tried this - but - when you are in admin yourself, go to Front Page>Front |Page roles > and then click on admin and make mge admin - then he should get admin rights to the front page if that;'s what you're talking about

Thank Post

Or

Administration/Users/Permissions/Assign Global Roles

You can give anyone administrator rights from here.

Thank Post

@mge
    Your method worked but why doesn't my method work - what was I giving you admin rights to?????

Anyway - you should be in - ready for the next stupid question from me

Merry Christmas one and all

regards

Simon

Thank Post

Ask away - everything seems to be working correctly. The first thing that I would do is kill the purple colour!

As long as you are happy with HTML the labels can contain almost anything and they do make the site less boring. With Moodle 1.9 you will be able to use rounded boxes which, again, make the site more interesting. Not sure when CLEO are moving to 1.9 though.

If it makes everyone feel better the Carr Hill site is down this morning. I don't think it is the reverse proxy since the email is working. Perhaps Geoff has been playing.

Thank Post

Have you been on the FREE Admin training courses at Woodlands? It is worth going, if just for the lunch

Andy

Thank Post

@andy

Thats my point - I've been on the courses and I still don't know how to work it if I stop playing with one for more than a month ops:

Given the last example - I go into users select mge and give him what I think are full access rights.

Does it work.

Does it &^%$.

I have to do it Dave's way - not the way I think it should work.

Latest example, I made up a simple test choice quiz - it seemed to work OK but my score wasn't shown - prob cause I'm not enrolled onto the course I think - can I find where to do that - can I &^%$.

Its EVERY SINGLE STEP that bites me

Now the real problem is that I'm the one that shows teachers how to do things -If I can't work it - what chance them!.

My magical geek powers seem to be sucked out of me by Moodle

[/rant]

@mge

Feel free to play -I'd like a nice #000080 look to the place

regards

Simon
    PS I think I'll setup my shiny new webcam that I got in the sales today instead (MS VX6000 - a nice model I use in schools as its widescreen (or even wideangle!) so handy for whole classroom use BTW - £25 in Dixons! )

Thank Post

Sometimes it's useful to make up a pupil (student) login and then you can test stuff out with them , like enrolling on courses, doing quizzes and seeing how scores are recorded in the gradebook etc.

Thank Post

@andy

created a test user - then worked out that I needed to go to the course itself and add that user as a student - all works OK.

Onwards and upwards

regards

Simon

Thank Post

There are several issues throughout this thread and some of them need clarifying.

a) there is a problem with defining roles. These came in with 1.7 and many Moodle users stopped upgrading from 1.6 because of that. However they are very powerful in the way you can over-ride the roles. For instance we have teaching staff who obviously teachers in their own course but students if they just want to "observe". I over-ride the normal student role in some of the forums so they can "rate" a comment.

b) the "look" of Moodle can be off-putting. Much of this is due to the fact that it is not a conventional web-site and so you cannot just put your information anywhere. There are fantastic themes available if you look. For example here or here. On both of these sites you can flick between the different themes.

c) CLEO try to take away much of the grief associated with learning Moodle - which is why they put on free courses. They also tie the schools down so that they don't install blocks that might cause compatibility problems. This is fine for most schools but, I suppose, we like to live on the edge. It does cause problems. For instance one of the blocks we added trashed our 1.8 theme. It means you have to start again.

The important thing is that Moodle (or something like it) does change the way that teachers teach and students learn. Persevere - it is worth it.

@SimpleSi

If you want to wander into Carr Hill sometime we can show you what we do. When I say "we" I really mean Geoff and the others - I just tell them what to do. Sometimes they listen.

I also suggest you change your theme to Chameleon and have a play. When you are happy pass the changes back to CLEO to add to your site themes.

Thank Post

Hi All, please excuse this brief thread take-over. As a point of discolsure i'm a developer at LUNS ltd and responsible for the CLEO Moodle Service, hope you don't mind me responding:

@simplesi
    Please please please! tell CLEO what is unintuitive! I am a Moodle Developer and I also work for CLEO, and I really want to help with making things better!

If you find a problem, report it! Either via the moodle tracker or via CLEO, or perhaps even informally via the CLEO moodle (vle.cleo.net.uk).

Hopefully things will eventually improve with good suggestions, its certainly a focus of new moodle versions. But it wont happen overnight.

With regards to themes, you can have as much customisation as you'd like, we (CLEO) do not restrict you, other than ensuring your themes are valid and sustainable. (e.g. we disallow if themes are doing database queries.. which isn't something a theme should be doing as its not style!)
    I hope nobody tells you otherwise, you do have as much control as you'd like about theme and that was the aim from the start.

@dezt

We (CLEO) try to not restrict anything unnecessarily. To date we've only ever disabled one feature in moodle core, that is Moodle Networking. The reason for this was because we didn't wish schools to use this without not know what they were doing and our support orgs not understanding either. You can request this to be enabled by contacting your local support org (although we'd prefer you'd know what you are doing).

Custom modules are a major problem as we need to ensure they work across all 450+ moodles we currently host. This does mean we need to make sacrifices. If we enable a module it needs to working more or less 'forever'! As MGE suggests, this can cause problems if the module is not perfect. We make the sacrifice of the latest new module in return for reliability in CLEO.

@secretlife
    CLEO is not on holiday and available all through the holiday period! From what I can see that moodle looks to be working OK to me at the
    moment.

Please report all issues imediately to your local support centre
    we are interested in providing 24/7 access. Issues *will* be looked at,
    but often issues are not reported. Please make sure you report
    problems! (But please also note there are lots of other issues which may
    cause your moodle unavailable (e.g. my isp is currently ridiculously slow)!).

@mighty.grey.eagle
    Deary me, I took Christmas Day off, you should too :P

All CLEO moodles are now using 1.8

For the (off the) record, I hope we will be looking at moving to 1.9
    at the easter holidays. There is still a significant amount of work going
    into 1.9 bugfixing, and i'm trying to get as involved in this as I can to ensure a
    smooth upgrade path for CLEO schools. (For example, recently there was a big change in the admin tree to include all admin pages in search and other such things. I have been trying to test these things thoroughly MDL-11561 )

Thank Post

Hi there Poltaswki! Nice to locate a real CLEO person! We are mainly happy with CLEO I have to say but despite your reassurance there have been real problems accessing our Moodle in the last week or so - sometimes it just takes forever to load, then times out -sometimes you can get the front page but nothing else; sometimes I can get as far as logging in and it won't let me edit - sometimes it lets me go to edit but I can't upload anything. In fact, I have only managed to get on it to alter the front page a couple of times since we broke up and even then I had to upload images and resources to one of my own sites instead,and link to them..so there IS a problem, albeit spasmodically. I have been checking it every hour or so for over a week - yes, I know, I'm sad! (I've been told to keep a log of issues over the holiday)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast