+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle Book Recomendation in Technical; Does anyone have any Moodle book recommendations for creating courses, content and activities for Moodle? It's so I can start ...

Thank Post

Moodle Book Recomendation

Does anyone have any Moodle book recommendations for creating courses, content and activities for Moodle?

It's so I can start helping interested staff using Moodle for everyday teaching. I know the documentation is very good, but I am after something I can use for examples and motivation.

Not sure if it makes any difference, but we are on V2.6

Thank Post
    We have both "Moodle for Dummies" and "Moodle 1.9 Teaching Techniques" available on the network for teaching staff and they are never accessed. Books are probably not a good way to learn about Moodle; you are much better off fiddling with it. There are some good videos on youtube (and some rubbish ones too), so you could perhaps setup a page of links to those, showing common tasks, such as creating a page, creating a quiz, etc.

We have some Moodle Mentors, staff who have fiddled with Moodle and are familiar with it. They run workshops and are available to answer staff questions. Most staff still prefer to contact me though. I know how to administer Moodle, but I have no idea as to how to get the best out of it from a teachers point of view.

"Moodle for Teachers.: An Illustrated Guide" looks quite good and is cheap, but we are not getting any more books.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the advice, I know that Books are old school, but I was just thinking of using it to get a few good examples together.

I will have a look at the Illustrated Guide

Thank Post
    I agree books are old school, although I still like flicking through paper versions of things. The problem with Moodle books is there aren't any which use Moodle 2.6 (haven't checked the Illustrated guide - perhaps it does) as books are invariably always out of date. There is a free pdf book to download (and print off) which uses 2.5, not so very different, although some differences. It is based on the 2.5 documentation on Moodle.org. Moodle Manuals - HowToMoodle | Moodle Partners UK | +44 (0)330 660 1111

And not a book and not 2.6 but feel free to link to all the Teaching with Moodle videos on the HQ channel -made for complete beginners - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfpOT...IlXmpR&index=5
    Last edited by secretlife; 9th June 2014 at 11:54 AM.

5. Thanks to secretlife from:

Cache (9th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Get yourself over to Home | Packt Publishing you will find loads of moodle books on there website.
    Great books for other stuff as well.

7. Thanks to JATSO from:

Wirral_Wonderer (9th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JATSO View Post
    Get yourself over to Home | Packt Publishing you will find loads of moodle books on there website.
    Great books for other stuff as well.
    I'd second this we've got two the Moodle 2 administration and Moodle 2.0 e-learning course development. Definitely worth a read.

9. Thanks to tj2419 from:

Thank Post
    Moodle 2 Administration is probably still fine (for administrators) but do be aware that Moodle 2.0 E learning course development is out of date and might well confuse teachers if they see screenshots which aren't the same as what they see on their courses - no drag and drop etc etc. (There's a new one coming out at the end of the year) If you want something specifically related to just teachers and no admin in it then Moodle 2 for teaching 7-14 year olds (by Packt) is targeted at teachers of KS2 and KS3 -but again, it's based on 2.2 which is still very old (well, a couple of years old)
    Last edited by secretlife; 9th June 2014 at 06:00 PM.

11. Thanks to secretlife from:

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I will have a trawl through it all over the next few days.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread