Poll: How often do you Upgrade Moodle

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, How often do you update Moodle? in Technical; Often for us it depends how quickly external companies update their plugins e.g. TurnItIn doesn't have Moodle 2.7 support yet. ...
    Thank Post
    Often for us it depends how quickly external companies update their plugins e.g. TurnItIn doesn't have Moodle 2.7 support yet. We currently would to only go for major version upgrades over summer then minor point releases if there's a very good reason to do them (mainly major security flaws).

Next version will need some surgery to move up to a later version of PHP so not looking forward to that! 1.9 to 2.x was a huge leap but a huge change like that isn't likely to be required for a long time. The new 2.7 is an LTS release as well so you've got some stability there for a couple of years

2. Thanks to gshaw from:

Cache (20th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    @Norphy Website not hosted on Moodle. So there. nya nya nya
    Well, your VLE then. Which is arguably more important than your website as your student's work is hosted there And since it's (presumably) accessible from outside of your school it's just as likely to be targeted as any of your other public facing sites.

Either way, you don't want it to get hacked and it would be even worse if it did get hacked using an exploit that gets fixed in a later version.
    Last edited by Norphy; 20th May 2014 at 11:03 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is my job today! Woohoo!
    Running Ubuntu 10.04LTS which puts us a little behind but looking at what's available, our path leads us straight from Moodle 2.4.6+ to 2.6.3+. We needed to upgrade PHP which was quite straight forward - if anyone else needs to do the same, the guide I followed was https://gist.github.com/terwey/6416511 - we're now on 5.4.28. That puts us in good stead for Moodle 2.7 for the future.

Postgres looks a bit more complicated; again there's some good guides on moving from 8.3 to 9.1, roughly dumping the database, removing 8.x, installing 9.1, importing, job done (hopefully!). But as we're not looking at 2.7 yet (our MIS integration doesn't support it yet) that's a complication that isn't needed. We're on postgres 8.4.1.7 so hopefully Moodle itself sails through.

One way to find out...

5. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

Cache (30th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sigh. Moodle. Written by programmers, for programmers. People that write documentation should NOT be programmers.

Thank Post
    A couple of years ago when the moodle/joomla buzz got everyone excited I tried them both. They allow a simple techy to achieve great results at very little cost but its not ideal. You still need to invest a hell allot of time to keep them running and maintained. If you don't have a big enough team to allocate the time required to maintain this sort of thing it can quickly become a liability and a stone around your neck.

Its one of the things im really glad didn't take off.

8. Thanks to Galway from:

Cache (30th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Gave up. Thank %deity% for snapshots. Didn't like the theme, instructions on Moodle might as well be in latin and don't actually cater for anything slightly out of the norm. Only instructions on site relate to versions of Moodle long gone by. Ah well - it can stay Ye Olde until it's replaced or hosted & maintained by someone else!

Thank Post
    Tends to get done in the Summer here as any issues can get sorted and can fully test, this is unless a security issue is found our LEA scan all our web facing solutions so inform us of any issues only happened once when we have had to upgrade Moodle outside this schedule as the LEA warned us of an issue with the version of PHP. We also tend to go back to previous release if we feel this is better or new release is buggy etc.

11. Thanks to Steven_Cleaver from:

Cache (30th May 2014)

Thank Post
    lol I inherited a moodle when I started 3 years ago and made it perfectly clear I think I have never touched one before and feel it needs replacing with a different and modern solution so its still sitting there untouched by tech support. I guess its about 1.6 but to be honest I just hope the thing dies as I don't believe most staff use it anyway.

13. Thanks to robjduk from:

Cache (2nd June 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12