+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Remote home directory file access through web browser in Technical; Hi everyone, just wanting to know what you guys are using for students to remotely access student files. We currently ...

Thank Post

Remote home directory file access through web browser

Hi everyone, just wanting to know what you guys are using for students to remotely access student files.

We currently use a sharepoint webpart similar to salamanders solution, however I'm ditching sharepoint (with the exception of running SLG) and moving over to moodle on a virtual Ubuntu server for our VLE platform, I know moodle has a SMB block plugin to access network shares however I'm interested to know if some of you have a more direct way of accessing network shares and home folders via remote login through a browser

Thank Post
    HAP+ - have a look at the hundreds of threads on here.

3. Thanks to jamesreedersmith from:

chrisjako (8th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Installing now - thanks!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesreedersmith View Post
    HAP+ - have a look at the hundreds of threads on here.
    I've checked HAP+'s documentation, and I can find installation guides but no quick summary of what, exactly, it does. I understand that you get a nice web-borwsable interface listing your files, but how do you edit those files - do you download / upload files from the web interface, or can you directly edit documents on the web page?

Thank Post
    I use HAP here. In v9 you download / upload the files for editing. In v10 im sure you can edit directly.

7. Thanks to fairm010 from:

dhicks (8th May 2014)

Thank Post
    I know of some places using Citrix for remote access. Are you looking for a paid of free solution ?

There are some WEBDAV type solutions out there that students can loginto and access certain files, even edit them on-line and save them back.

ownCloud.org | Your Cloud, Your Data, Your Way!

Owncloud can be tied in with LDAP,AD... It's pretty secure.

There was another one too but I can't put my finger on what it's called. I have also used Novell iFolder in the past. https://www.novell.com/products/filr/

Thank Post
    getting a http 500 error as soon as I edit the web.config file to remove the IIS8 settings as instructed from the video! Any advice?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjako View Post
    getting a http 500 error as soon as I edit the web.config file to remove the IIS8 settings as instructed from the video! Any advice?
    @nickbro.. are you able to help

Thank Post
    Start a thread under Edugeek Projects > Home Access Plus. Im sure @nickbro will help you.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    I know of some places using Citrix for remote access. Are you looking for a paid of free solution ?
    I'm aiming for a solution where a user can log in to a web oage with their standard Active Directory credentials and see a listing of their home folder. When they click on a file, they should be able to edit it - either via the web browser or via an RDP / VNC session opened in a browser tab for them. I'm setting up a Guacamole RDP client install for the RDP / VNC part of things, I was wondering if HAP+ would be suitible for the file browsing part or whether I should just write my own interface.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I'm aiming for a solution where a user can log in to a web oage with their standard Active Directory credentials and see a listing of their home folder. When they click on a file, they should be able to edit it - either via the web browser or via an RDP / VNC session opened in a browser tab for them. I'm setting up a Guacamole RDP client install for the RDP / VNC part of things, I was wondering if HAP+ would be suitible for the file browsing part or whether I should just write my own interface.
    Personally for this... I'd just use Owncloud. Authenticates via AD and you can map the home drive to the OwnCloud DIR - it's all web based and can edit files online and they are updated instantly.

We use owncloud, our sales guys use it when they go out on site visits, to update information about customers etc. All done via the web. Log in with their AD credentials. We use to use Novell iFolder, same functionality but isn't supported anymore.

14. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

dhicks (8th May 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread