+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Railroaded into Sharepoint in Technical; MOSS 2007 (the sharepoint implementation that NewOrder is talking about) does contain Exchange 2007 and Live Communications Server (soon to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Railroaded into Sharepoint

MOSS 2007 (the sharepoint implementation that NewOrder is talking about) does contain Exchange 2007 and Live Communications Server (soon to be Office Communication Server 2008), so you get mail, IM, shared desktop or application functionality (basically a whiteboard style sharing space) ...

Also remember that the commercially hosted solution (£2k? Bloody hell ... where from?) is not likely to offer training or tolls for creation of content ... and this is before you even get into pre-loaded content.

Also remember that costs will vary from school to school depending on what they add to the pack or what they leave off, as well as the numbers on roll.

I know of a few schools that are looking to use the LA portal for a year or two, to give them time to design and build their own. A chance to get some good practice sorted.

Thank Post

I wasn't aware of the inclusion of Exch2007 in the MOSS license Tony, so thanks for the info. How on earth do they calculate the price if you don't just want one Sharepoint server, one Exchange and one OCS2008? I'd imagine many LAs have pretty large Exchange setups in place already.

Viglen (it's learning) were offering theirs even cheaper than 2k/yr back in January, but admittedly I haven't been in touch recently. As for pre-loaded content I think the real benefit there comes down to how many schools you can get to buy together as a consortium/LA rather than the technology it's loaded into.

Our LA are in the early stages of a single sign on project at the moment and (independently of that) are looking into an LA-wide Moodle deployment, so hopefully the two will both come to fruition and work nicely together. I'm keen for schools across the LA to team up as I think it will benefit everyone long-term. From our initial meddling with Moodle it does seem to have some limitations in its overall structure though (i.e. it doesn't seem to be well-suited to a hierarchy with LA > School > Subject > Year say)

Either way I'm not optimistic that they'll get their derrières in gear by Sept 2008, but I'd hope we'll get away with something usable for under 7k/year if it's being split x ways.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    MOSS 2007 (the sharepoint implementation that NewOrder is talking about) does contain Exchange 2007 and Live Communications Server (soon to be Office Communication Server 2008), so you get mail, IM, shared desktop or application functionality (basically a whiteboard style sharing space) ...

Also remember that the commercially hosted solution (£2k? Bloody hell ... where from?) is not likely to offer training or tolls for creation of content ... and this is before you even get into pre-loaded content.

Also remember that costs will vary from school to school depending on what they add to the pack or what they leave off, as well as the numbers on roll.

I know of a few schools that are looking to use the LA portal for a year or two, to give them time to design and build their own. A chance to get some good practice sorted.
    Do you mean the Microsoft Learning Gateway when referring to MOSS, Exc, LCS and ISA when 'packaged' as a solution. I know a lot of solutions providers provide this as part of a VLE implementation in so far as they develop the VLE using and incorporating these technologies and provide the hosting.

But I wasn't aware the MLG was available as an actual packaged product
    merely a VLE framework. After all without Class Server / SLK it really isn't a VLE-specific solution. MOSS can be whatever you tailor it to be the SLK provides the education specific components.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

When suppliers talk about a MOSS 2007 Learning Platform they are talking about MSLG, but like to say MOSS 2007 so you know you are getting the latest version.

Most providers work on SPLA for their licences so there are some providers that you have to be careful that they don't remove the Exchange / Live Comms (or OCS) bits when quoting reduced prices.

I do know that the MSLG implementation that NewOrder is talking about does include it all *unless* your school / LA opts out of sections.

There is a nice SLK wrapper for the Teacher client of Class Server that still gives you the creation tools. You just then use SLK within MOSS to deploy or assign to students.

I am also playing with Reload too ... and some of these tools are way to complicated for most staff.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook

I am also playing with Reload too ... and some of these tools are way to complicated for most staff.
    I also played with Reload way back when it came out and found it way too complicated for me! I couldn't even get it to compile a valid SCORM resource back then. Since then they have released a wizard add-on for it which does make it a lot easier to use, but from a quick play with exe it seems to be much better suited to teachers.

When we had classserver (3/4) the best thing about it was the content creation tool. It's just a shame that microsoft put so little effort into the back end. :?

Thank Post

We only had the first part of the training last Monday Week. Jon did a sterling job, but Norfolk CC ICT Solutions broadband service let him and the traning session down badly. Kept crashing, losing connection. From what I saw of it, and I stayed to the end, MOSS 2007 looks amazing.

And that leads onto my question. I REALLY want to get stuck into this before it is rolled out to the schools in Norfolk. Can someone, maybe Jon, point me in a direction so I can start getting a few books and a server to play and learn on? I honestly just don't know where to start, but I can see a future with this pushing the school that little bit further, but it needs to be done right first time.

Thanks, and thanks to Jon for the training last Monday as well.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

One of the Denizens of CertForums has written a very nice book that is highly recommended.

Mine is christmas present so I can't touch it yet. I am tempted to get my Safari subscription going again at O'Reilly.com to make a start on it.

Thank Post

You can also visit the SUG (Sharepoint User Group). It's mainly business orientated but they're very helpful.

There's an update of Nottingham University's content creation tool, Xerte, available for free here

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,472 Posts

Ninja: you can download an evaluation from MS which I tried to do last week but couldn't get past the registration form.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

If you are downloading the evaluation please remember that WSS and MOSS are part of the same stable ... but different beasties. One is a lightweight pack horse that will happily pull the plough and the cart ... the other is a team of chargers that will pull everything from the guns to a royal carriage.

They need looking after in slightly different ways too.

Thank Post

Cheers guys.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123