+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, My Big Campus in Technical; Many users here? Opinions? Does it work for your school in the way you had hoped? What did you replace ...
    Thank Post

My Big Campus

Many users here?

Opinions? Does it work for your school in the way you had hoped?

What did you replace when moving to it? are you a school that moved from it ot something else and why?

Essentially this is our position:
    We're with uniservity, they're disgusting, clunky, boring old VLE that's costing us far more than it's worth. We have to replace it by March and we certainly don't want to pay for another year because it's just not worth it.
    We've had a couple of visitors and one of the IT teachers has been tasked with researching different VLEs, of which he is a frog lover, but the comments from SLT and the business manager is a big fat "NO" they won't pay what it costs.

So we've come back to what is free. We're already a lightspeed customer and we have a MBC account with a few test users in, and due to the school not wanting to really push a VLE solution and not being happy with the current one, the free alternative is the only option left.......not that it's a bad thing becuase personally i think MBC is brilliant!

So opinions?

Thank Post
    My Big Campus looks promising, although we haven't took to using it yet, it is our intention. It's somewhat Americanised but functionality wise it offers a lot and the UI is clean and simple to understand.

Thank Post
    I saw a demo at a recent Network Manager meeting in the area and I did like it. Not something we need, but it certainly did look to have some promise.

Thank Post
    My Big Campus does currently have an American feel but after talking about this with Lightspeed only the other day, they did say that they are currently working very hard behind the scenes to regionalise MBC and will be looking do get these changes pushed to the UK customers over the next few months.

Thank Post
    My school has just agreed to switch to MBC from Moodle currently working on an implementation strategy but worried about scaring technophobe staff off with so much on offer from MBC! Any advice?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bodminman View Post
    My Big Campus does currently have an American feel but after talking about this with Lightspeed only the other day, they did say that they are currently working very hard behind the scenes to regionalise MBC and will be looking do get these changes pushed to the UK customers over the next few months.
    I've been speaking to bob campus alot lately to get issues ironed out, for example I want it to be as "1 school only" as possible, at the moment i have my test users set to see content from this school only but when i search for groups by name it's still bringing up groups created by other schools (appears to be a bug though)

Does seem that they're progressing but i still see a lot of "translation errors" with the site set to UK english, not sure if this is a browser bug though as it only seems to happen now and then (using chrome).

Quote Originally Posted by laurenfry View Post
    My school has just agreed to switch to MBC from Moodle currently working on an implementation strategy but worried about scaring technophobe staff off with so much on offer from MBC! Any advice?
    It's going to be quite a culture shock, but moving from things like moodle or uniservity to MBC is a move for the better in every area in my opinion. Far less knowledge needed and less requirement for IT to be spending our time on it than the clunkier/DIY systems.
    Last edited by mrbios; 19th November 2013 at 07:39 PM.

Thank Post
    @mrbios - how have you got on with MBC since your last post?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    @mrbios - how have you got on with MBC since your last post?
    The school didnt want to go with it in the end. Too many sticking points in the way it was so americanised, and there wasn't enough customisation to a key part of it to do with the way work would be marked and graded either. I still quite like it personally, and if they fully port everything into real English ( ) then it'll probably be decent but it seems we're using itslearning now (6 month trial). Not a fan myself, but heyho, not my decision.

Our school is very undecided on the direction of e-learning here, they want to push it but they're looking for something without knowing what they actually want to achieve.

9. Thanks to mrbios from:

fiza (21st May 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread