+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle- quiz issue in Technical; Originally Posted by rodrop I thought you mentioned that this is not happening on every computer, correct? Have you compared ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rodrop View Post
    I thought you mentioned that this is not happening on every computer, correct?
    Have you compared the simple things, browser versions etc?
    Our company dictates the use of IE because of some of the programs our company uses, but we have other browsers on our computers so we use whatever works best with our specific work load. So, just for testing purposes (if you have not already)..if there are other browsers on that computer (or it may be worth loading one). I say try another browser on that computer.
    The other thing, as silly as it sounds... let someone else log onto the computer (their log on) and see if the same thing happens on the same computer but under a different user. Dont' laugh, we have resolved problems this way at work before.

I also recall you mentioning this same person does not have this problem on other computers, just this computer...right??
    Sorry, bit of confusion here. I said that it happens in all browsers on all computers, I think, whether accessing the moodle at home or at work. It happens with multi users as well. Will try and do a screenshot

Thank Post
    Doc1.docx

Here it is although I dont think it will help you much. Basically, you click on edit quiz but the list of question types does not appear

Thank Post
    Hey! Are you at W&M? I am in Newport News!
    I was just typing a short list of MOODLE comparisons I try to do..not well organized but you will get the gist:
    MOODLE Challenges:

1. Confirm individual has appropriate roles and or permissions.
    Roles individual may need at minimum: Instructor role, Shared Question creator (at a higher category if he/she needs to see more questions than what are available in his or her course).
    Have an administrator log in as that person to see if what the individual is seeing, changes. If an administrator sees the same exact thing (on a different computer) as the individual, then you know that it may not be the computer or browser (never 100% but a good current guess). If the administrator sees something different under changed role (and on a separate computer), you can focus on the computer or browser.
    Have the individual try a different computer and a different browser. How does this affect what he or she sees?

2. If you believe you have confirmed his or her role is appropriate. Focus on computer and or browser (you mention server as well, think about it..but I say it may be something more simple first). Do simple comparisons like browser type and version #. Also go into the settings and confirm settings match etc? Again, if the person can see something different on a different computer or browser...then you can focus on the one you seem to be targeting.

Thank Post
    Your visual does help... I am now thinking in a different direction. Thanks for sharing.
    Review this link. See if you can relate to this person who posted this:
    https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=216544

I have to go off for an appt that will be a few hours.. wont be back until after 1pm my time (its 7am now). But I will do some more research.
    it does not hurt to do the things I mentioned, but I am thinking that there may be something else going on after seeing your lack of question types at all...

Thank Post
    Your visual does help... I am now thinking in a different direction. Thanks for sharing.
    Review this link. See if you can relate to this person who posted this:
    https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=216544

I have to go off for an appt that will be a few hours.. wont be back until after 1pm my time (its 7am now). But I will do some more research.
    it does not hurt to do the things I mentioned, but I am thinking that there may be something else going on after seeing your lack of question types at all...
    Oh well found!!
    I didn't find that after hours of searching. The worrying thing is the sentence about questions from 1.9 and 2.0 cannot be used with 2.2. Is this the answer? And if it is, what can I do to get questions or question types back
    Last edited by witch; 8th October 2013 at 12:22 PM.

Thank Post
    I do not think this is a complete answer, but it shows that someone has had similar.
    I would still confirm all the basics:
    correct/appropriate privileges
    is it happening on just one computer or anywhere that person logs in?
    Have you tried a different browser and computers with that person? What are the results? Same or different?
    Is it happening to others? (if it is not, this kind of negates the question thing above..but still...says hey, there have been some similar problems)
    Do you host your own site or do you pay a host? (if you pay a company to host, they may be able to help)?

If you had to answer those questions above...what are your answers right now?

Thank Post
    Hey! Are you at W&M? I am in Newport News!
    I was just typing a short list of MOODLE comparisons I try to do..not well organized but you will get the gist:
    MOODLE Challenges:

1. Confirm individual has appropriate roles and or permissions.
    Roles individual may need at minimum: Instructor role, Shared Question creator (at a higher category if he/she needs to see more questions than what are available in his or her course).
    Have an administrator log in as that person to see if what the individual is seeing, changes. If an administrator sees the same exact thing (on a different computer) as the individual, then you know that it may not be the computer or browser (never 100% but a good current guess). If the administrator sees something different under changed role (and on a separate computer), you can focus on the computer or browser.
    Have the individual try a different computer and a different browser. How does this affect what he or she sees?

2. If you believe you have confirmed his or her role is appropriate. Focus on computer and or browser (you mention server as well, think about it..but I say it may be something more simple first). Do simple comparisons like browser type and version #. Also go into the settings and confirm settings match etc? Again, if the person can see something different on a different computer or browser...then you can focus on the one you seem to be targeting.
    The person logging in is an administrator and the same things happen for anyone trying to create a quiz.. As I said - it isnt the computer, or the browser, as I have tried multiple computers and multiple browsers and I am SURE that this isn't the issue
    We host our own moodle. I am Network Manager but it is administered by the IT co-ordinator and I have little or nothing to do with it. The migration to 2.2 was undertaken by a well-respected enterprise software technical architect - in his spare time -and this is the first problem that has appeared even though the migration was several months ago
    Last edited by witch; 8th October 2013 at 12:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Cool beans
    Then I would focus on a MOODLE setting or a MOODLE flaw.
    If you go to your site administration, there is a little search box. I use it all the time Put in question types ... and it will bring you to Manage Question Types.
    See if you notice anything abnormal (If you have not already checked that)...
    Keep in mind that moodle posting...when looking too.

Another thing to do is to make sure someone did not accidentally changed a setting under roles and permissions and go thru those lists and make sure something is not related.

Thank Post
    It does indeed bring me to Manage Question Types...which is blank...

Thank Post
    Mine has a long list of types and how often being used etc.
    I would definitely start focusing on the posting from moodle.org
    Maybe tag a comment onto it and see if anyone takes a bite. Tim Hunt is usually pretty good at responding to Quiz and Question stuff.

Thank Post
    If I enable debugging and then try again I get an "internal server error - unable to display webpage"
    Thanks for your help
    Last edited by witch; 8th October 2013 at 12:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Would it be a good idea to create a question type and see if that works? How would I do that?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Doc1.docx

Here it is although I dont think it will help you much. Basically, you click on edit quiz but the list of question types does not appear
    From your screen shot the moodle page footer is missing which would mean the page has failed to load correctly.
    Turn debugging on to developer and tick the display error message box underneath and see if the page shows an error.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    If I enable debugging and then try again I get an "internal server error - unable to display webpage"
    Thanks for your help
    If you host on IIS have a look at c:\windows\temp\php54_error.log or c:\windows\temp\php53_error.log and it should list a PHP Fatal Error message. That would help define what is causing it.

Thank Post
    1)Were you migrated directly from 1.9 to 2.2? There are warnings in the migration notes about the quiz question engine changing and to be aware of this - Upgrading to Moodle 2.1 - MoodleDocs
    2) As mentioned on the Moodle,org forum, have you tried with a different theme to make sure it's not your theme?
    3) Can you go to Site administration>Plugins>Question types>Manage question types and do a screenshot of the available question types -I will tell you if there are non-standard ones there that might be conflicting with your 2.2 install.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast