+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Kaleidos in Technical; Hi all, I've heard down the grapevine that RM are set to discontinue their LP Kaleidos..... we haven't heard anything ...

Thank Post

Kaleidos

Hi all,

I've heard down the grapevine that RM are set to discontinue their LP Kaleidos..... we haven't heard anything official, but I wanted to see if anyone had any further information on this??

Someone from RM maybe??!!!

Thank Post
    We discontinued its use a while back now. miss my avatar mind

Thank Post
    I think many schools have!

But have you heard anything about RM pulling the plug on it?

Thank Post
    Hi rikcoz,

I’m a Product Manager in RM’s Digital Content and Platforms group which includes both RM Unify and the RM Learning Platform (formally Kaleidos). RM Unify is our focus, we strongly believe that making it simple for schools to access the best applications, tools, services and content that the web has offer, and that schools having the choice over which of these are right for them, will benefit everyone.

Learning Platforms were first envisioned when the Web was a very different place. Fantastic free services such as Microsoft Office 365 and Google Apps for Education didn’t exist, Educational content came in SCORM packs instead of online services such as Ted-Ed, YouTube for Schools, or Oxford Owl, and there wasn’t innovative online tools from the likes of J2e, Classroom Monitor or Pupil Reward Points.

We don’t think that schools will want to use traditional Learning Platforms (not just ours) in an environment where something as flexible and cost effective as RM Unify (and all the great Apps that sit within it) exists. We believe this is the future and the feedback from schools since the launch of RM Unify at BETT has been incredible - we now have over 4,000 schools signed up to RM Unify in the UK.

There is a period of overlap between RM Unify and our Learning Platform, more information is available in the RM Learning Platform here and your Head Teacher should also have received a letter about this in April 2013 (if you’re not part of an RM Managed Service) – however the simple message is that we will be supporting RM Learning Platform schools in whatever route they choose to take.

Kind regards,

Andrew Iles
    Senior Product Manager
    Digital Content and Platforms
    RM Education

5. Thanks to Andrew_Iles_RM from:

funkyfin2000 (23rd September 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_Iles_RM View Post
    Hi rikcoz,

I’m a Product Manager in RM’s Digital Content and Platforms group which includes both RM Unify and the RM Learning Platform (formally Kaleidos). RM Unify is our focus, we strongly believe that making it simple for schools to access the best applications, tools, services and content that the web has offer, and that schools having the choice over which of these are right for them, will benefit everyone.

Learning Platforms were first envisioned when the Web was a very different place. Fantastic free services such as Microsoft Office 365 and Google Apps for Education didn’t exist, Educational content came in SCORM packs instead of online services such as Ted-Ed, YouTube for Schools, or Oxford Owl, and there wasn’t innovative online tools from the likes of J2e, Classroom Monitor or Pupil Reward Points.

We don’t think that schools will want to use traditional Learning Platforms (not just ours) in an environment where something as flexible and cost effective as RM Unify (and all the great Apps that sit within it) exists. We believe this is the future and the feedback from schools since the launch of RM Unify at BETT has been incredible - we now have over 4,000 schools signed up to RM Unify in the UK.

There is a period of overlap between RM Unify and our Learning Platform, more information is available in the RM Learning Platform here and your Head Teacher should also have received a letter about this in April 2013 (if you’re not part of an RM Managed Service) – however the simple message is that we will be supporting RM Learning Platform schools in whatever route they choose to take.

Kind regards,

Andrew Iles
    Senior Product Manager
    RM Education

Hi Andrew,

Many thanks for the imformation.

My experiance of RM tells me that there will be a significant cost to migrate to the new solution..... please tell me that isn't the case here, as we have spent 100s on people hours and 1000s of pounds in cash developing Kaleidos

Many thanks,

RikCoz

Thank Post
    Hi RikCoz,

There will obviously be some work/time involved with the move to RM Unify and Apps such as Office 365. It’s relatively simple to move most content to Microsoft Office 365 due the RM Learning Platform being also based on Microsoft SharePoint. There is documentation on how to migrate content (documents, files, etc) between the two services here.

There will also be some time required for staff to get up to speed with the new (but significantly more modern and easy to use) interfaces. In terms of money, RM Unify and Office 365 will be considerably less expensive for most schools than a learning platform, and for example, Office 365 also includes hosted email so there are plenty of opportunities for further cost savings.

There is also a separate thread on migration here, with a post from Rich Saunders (funkyfin2000) who is involved with around 180 schools moving from the RM Learning Platform to RM Unify and Office 365 this academic year. Rich might be able to give you some more independent feedback on what's involved and what the schools that he is working with think.

Hope that helps...

Kind regards,

Andrew

Andrew Iles
    Senior Product Manager
    RM Education

8. Thanks to Andrew_Iles_RM from:

funkyfin2000 (26th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi Ricoz,

Yeah, I think the post that Andy has linked too is really relevant - I've copied the most important part below:

Migration is a tricky area - we are encouraging our schools to look at what they did previously and learn from this before creating a new structure and set up in Office 365. We have RM's Site Creator and today we had a real play with it now it's a live product (came out last week I think) and it is AWESOME! Having done 3 days of raw Office365 training through Novatronix (which has been excellent) we then used the site creator tool to match up our knowledge and see what it did in O365. I have to say it's brilliant, it does the majority of the work for you. It creates and builds all your sites, attaches the permissions and brands and customises the look and feel. After that you can use it to go back and build all your content inside the sites. Tried to break it and muck about in raw sharepoint afterwards and then use it and it dealt with all our changes including template copying extremely well.

We will encourage our schools to use this tool to "start again" in affect and then look to manually move any files and folders (dead easy through Explorer view in RM LP) and drag and drop in to O365 SharePoint or use Explorer view again. I think schools will be pleased with this due to the ease of use of the Site Creator tool! It does ALL the leg work for you!

-----

So basically, I think you need to look at Migration is a certain light to get the best benefit. If you do want a chat about our project and how things are moving along - or even come on board with us, drop me a line and we can have a chat

Rich

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by funkyfin2000 View Post
    Hi Ricoz,

Yeah, I think the post that Andy has linked too is really relevant - I've copied the most important part below:

Migration is a tricky area - we are encouraging our schools to look at what they did previously and learn from this before creating a new structure and set up in Office 365. We have RM's Site Creator and today we had a real play with it now it's a live product (came out last week I think) and it is AWESOME! Having done 3 days of raw Office365 training through Novatronix (which has been excellent) we then used the site creator tool to match up our knowledge and see what it did in O365. I have to say it's brilliant, it does the majority of the work for you. It creates and builds all your sites, attaches the permissions and brands and customises the look and feel. After that you can use it to go back and build all your content inside the sites. Tried to break it and muck about in raw sharepoint afterwards and then use it and it dealt with all our changes including template copying extremely well.

We will encourage our schools to use this tool to "start again" in affect and then look to manually move any files and folders (dead easy through Explorer view in RM LP) and drag and drop in to O365 SharePoint or use Explorer view again. I think schools will be pleased with this due to the ease of use of the Site Creator tool! It does ALL the leg work for you!

-----

So basically, I think you need to look at Migration is a certain light to get the best benefit. If you do want a chat about our project and how things are moving along - or even come on board with us, drop me a line and we can have a chat

Rich

Hi funkyfin,

Many thanks for the info. How many people ours has the migration taken you?

Thanks,

Rikcoz

Thank Post
    Migration hasn't taken very long at present, most schools are happy to just freshen up and start again - due to the ease of Site Creator creating all your sites and pages, all that needs adding in is the content. Therefore, we have then suggested we will bring over files and folders out of document libraries. We havn't done a lot of that as most schools can do it themselves

Any more questions, ask away

Rich

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread