+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, FrogOS your experiences so far in Technical; Hi all Has anyone been using FrogOS and what do they think? Thought it might be good to setup a ...

Thank Post

FrogOS your experiences so far

Hi all

Has anyone been using FrogOS and what do they think? Thought it might be good to setup a feedback thread for others.
    We have just yesterday activated FrogOS, so early days yet but I have found:

A bit slow compared to Frog3 (we have a brand new unbadged Dell server from Frog, although they still use mirrored SATA drives for it)
    Crashes quite often on my iPad 3 on IOS 6
    As yet FrogOS does not use SSO like Frog3(so needs redirecting within Frog3)
    My Documents on FrogOS is different to storage area in Frog 3
    FrogOS does not support upload and download from mapped server drives as yet
    FrogOS has issues uploading files from stock Andriod browser(Chrome is ok), on Surface RT it has issues uploading as well

All sounds very negative but early days yet and FrogOS support is quite forthcoming so fingers crossed.
    Last edited by MrWu; 16th August 2013 at 10:02 AM.

Thank Post
    I pitty those poor mugs that have just brought into FrogOS (without frog) because unless your a primary school I'd say there is at least a year or twos worth of development before its got most of the useful features built it. Looks pretty though so will probably sell well to school leadership!

3. Thanks to Tallwood_6 from:

MrWu (16th August 2013)

Thank Post
    Agreed if you are new FrogOS customer it is a fair amount of cash to get it running, it needs to cook for another year before its ready for production I reckon.

Also to add to the list:

Can't add Quiz questions to new quizes you create (tried on iPad an PC)
    Swiping from your personal page to school page on FrogOS does not work on Andriods

Thank Post
    Very useful thread. We're looking to buy into it without ever having had a decent VLE before, it looks as if it's worth waiting before we commit.

6. Thanks to Love_Sausage from:

MrWu (24th August 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    I pitty those poor mugs that have just brought into FrogOS (without frog) because unless your a primary school I'd say there is at least a year or twos worth of development before its got most of the useful features built it. Looks pretty though so will probably sell well to school leadership!
    The impression that I got from every Frog3 install i've seen is that it could do with at least 2 years worth of development work by the devs and full time staff on site. Very poor value for money.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 19th August 2013 at 04:53 PM.

8. Thanks to Theblacksheep from:

MrWu (24th August 2013)

Thank Post
    never used it, but they go a bit mad with the marketing at bett

10. Thanks to ConradJones from:

MrWu (24th August 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Love_Sausage View Post
    Very useful thread. We're looking to buy into it without ever having had a decent VLE before, it looks as if it's worth waiting before we commit.
    try moodle, it won't cost you anything (if you have some hardware to run on it.)

Thank Post
    If its anything live frog in the beginning then probably 3 years development then the usual bug fixes that break something else.

13. Thanks to round2it from:

MrWu (24th August 2013)

Thank Post
    Sorry to hear you’ve had some problems – I’ve been using it on an iPad myself today, so it’s unfortunate to hear you’ve run into trouble.

If it is crashing on your iPad this can sometimes be because the cache becomes full – whilst it’s not ideal, I’d suggest trying emptying that.

With regards to your problems with Android devices, FrogOS won’t work anywhere near as well as it does for iPads. We’ve had to take the decision to focus on iPad support as the market leader but we’re hoping for a push on getting android devices up to speed, but I can't say when this will be.

Regarding the Quiz issue, if you could PM me I’ll see if we can look into this as it isn’t a common problem with FrogOS and I’m confident we should be able to help there.

Thanks

Matt

15. Thanks to fouldsy from:

MrWu (24th August 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fouldsy View Post
    With regards to your problems with Android devices, FrogOS won’t work anywhere near as well as it does for iPads. We’ve had to take the decision to focus on iPad support as the market leader but we’re hoping for a push on getting android devices up to speed, but I can't say when this will be
    You had better get a move on. Ipad isn't market leader any more.
    Small tablets drive big share gains for Android | Canalys

17. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

MrWu (24th August 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ConradJones View Post
    try moodle, it won't cost you anything (if you have some hardware to run on it.)
    We've looked at it, but we need a complete culture change, and Moodle isn't going to get the staff on board here. It just isn't attractive enough.

Frog's advertising and sales is slick and caught the eye of the SLT. Our demo wasn't exactly smooth so that set alarm bells ringing, this thread confirms that we were wise not to commit - especially as most of our tablets are Android. Back to the research.
    Last edited by Love_Sausage; 21st August 2013 at 10:14 AM.

19. Thanks to Love_Sausage from:

MrWu (24th August 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Love_Sausage View Post
    It just isn't attractive enough.
    It's theme-able and completely mod-able - it is what you make it!

21. 2 Thanks to LosOjos:

MrWu (24th August 2013), Steven_Cleaver (25th August 2013)

Thank Post
    Its nowhere near mod-able enough to engage middle of the road teachers and pupils though. Too much techie terminology in it IMO like a lot of the open source alternatives out there in software land.

23. Thanks to john316 from:

MrWu (24th August 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fouldsy
    With regards to your problems with Android devices, FrogOS won’t work anywhere near as well as it does for iPads. We’ve had to take the decision to focus on iPad support as the market leader but we’re hoping for a push on getting android devices up to speed, but I can't say when this will be
    You had better get a move on. Ipad isn't market leader any more.
    ....and schools starting to move toward BYOD initiatives (such as ourselves) cannot guarantee students will bring an i-device to school either!

25. Thanks to TheCrust from:

MrWu (24th August 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks Fouldsy.

Honest opinion of FrogOS is at the moment it has potential but some 'killer app' functions were not developed as priority:

A) The mapping of Home/network drives as was Frog3 - this would have been very useful for schools needing access to thier files, for example Foldr does this but cost money and only developed for iPads...if FrogOS had this for all Tablet platforms it would offer increased value and also have a Unique Selling Point.

B) better integration with Office 365

C) as mentioned, be platform agnostic and work well on all mobile devices.

D) Offer native app for the mobile platforms (if you look at My Big Campus, although not perfect, has an App available for Andriod and IOS) as well as working on a web browser

E) The integration with Frog3, is disappointing, FrogOS does not link to E Portfolio, time tables, Frog mail or resources, which makes migration for us difficult, I know you can embed Frog3 pages, but you inherit all the shortcomings of Frog3 limited ability to work on Tablets

Sorry this all sounds a bit negative, but from how it was sold to me back in BETTS sounded promising and Frog has a very good brand recognition amongst the school community, I'm just very surprised that the features mentioned wasn't pushed as a pirorty, put these in and you will have an extremely compelling VLE.
    Last edited by MrWu; 24th August 2013 at 11:04 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast