+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Vision Statement in Technical; I am sorry to post this on here but I am desperate. I have been asked to track down a ...

Thank Post

Vision Statement

I am sorry to post this on here but I am desperate. I have been asked to track down a vision statement for the procurement and implementation of a VLE can anyone possibly help me?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Vision Statement

You poor person.

The first place to look should be Becta's pages about VLEs followed by a trip over to Moodle.

It also depends on whether you are looking for it just for your school, a cluster of schools or more.

Procurement ... that all depends on whether you want the technology to lead what is used, the teacher usage or the student usage ...

Don't be scared to invite them sales drones in and get demonstrations but make sure you have the questions about what you need clear in your head before you see them. Also make sure you ask all demonstrators the same questions.

Implementation ... from personal experience, start small but plan big. Pilot things with small groups, use enthusiastic teachers who already have a lot of resources digitally. Try to use it as a communication tool as much as possible, even dropping some forms of paper communication.

This is too big a subject to do it justice in one small post and there are lots of places it has been discussed before ...

Thank Post

I came across this some months ago. A little out of date, but it may help you to form some guidlines.
    HTH

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by paulpmp4
    I am sorry to post this on here but I am desperate. I have been asked to track down a vision statement for the procurement and implementation of a VLE can anyone possibly help me?
    From my perspective, that would be a 'nightmare' or 'worst case scenario' statement.
    I've got an ICT vision statement which I'm sure you could adapt?

Thank Post

becktonboy. That would be really helpful.

my adress is:

211269 at supanet.com.

Thanks for your help

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by paulpmp4
    My advise is, look what the big vendors are offering, they'll refer to it as an LMS (learning Management System) and it may be more targeted at a corporate workforce. But if it is cost effective and easily customizable why not deploy it ? I know IBM (through their Lotus brand) and Skillsoft have such solutions and although they may not tick all the becta boxes. How many schools have gone down the becta route and have VLE's that hardly anyone uses - surely to go with a solution that you're comfortable with rather than one that meets guidelines.

Ofcourse, the big three are Sharepoint (WSS), Blackboard/WebCT and Moodle.
    Of them all Blackboard is the most feature rich and expensive. Sharepoint isn't technically a VLE, but it's more than merely a document management system - so with the right in house skills you can tailor it to meet pretty much any content need you have. Moodle is free, VLE specific and customizable - but lacks the quality of a Blackboard solution.

RM and the usual suspects are all players - and it's these guys that you'll probably end up calling in to explain why you should part with your money.
    If you haven't got the skills in house to develop and deploy a moodle solution then you'll probably end up going with a Kaleidos or similar product. But if you any kind of open source or .net development skillset go with moodle or sharepoint.

Just to add, I may have skirted around answering your question as to VLE guidelines - maybe becuase I'm not familiar with them. But is procuring such a system really that difficult and do you need guidelines when every schools seems to have a different idea as to what a VLE is and what it should do.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread