+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moving Kaleidos to Unify in Technical; Hi folks, Has anyone had any experience yet of migrating Kaleidos to Unify? Clearly based on this link (you'll need ...
    Thank Post

Question Moving Kaleidos to Unify

Hi folks,

Has anyone had any experience yet of migrating Kaleidos to Unify?

Clearly based on this link (you'll need a Kaleidos account to view it) it's designed to go to RM's Site Creator and Office 365 https://www.klp.rm.com/establishment...placements.pdf

But is it a "single button" import, something more complex, or recreating the content from scratch?

How is account management/permissions in Office 365 vs. Kaleidos?

(Pinging @funkyfin2000 and @Andrew_Iles_RM)

TIA

2. Thanks to Gongalong from:

funkyfin2000 (24th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi Gongalong,

We are about to start this process after only having the product for 18 months. I think to simply put it, it's definitely not a one button push to migrate. There are several steps that need to be taken to implement the KLP replacement. Probably over time RM will have a slicker migration path. However at the moment most it will be left to us to setup. Below are some of the steps we have taken in our path to replace KLP:

* Setup an Office 365 site for our establishment
    * Purchase RM Unify Premium, this will allow automatic creation of user accounts in RM Unify and in turn O365 from our AD and also manage password syncronisation between AD and RM Unify for some kind of SSO
    * Install RM Unify products on our DC's (Still to be installed)
    * Setup link between RM Unify and O365 (Still to be linked)
    * Setup an on-site Moodle server to host our SCORM resources (with AD login authentication. We didn't want to use all of Moodle at this time as people had learn't to add resources etc. in a SharePoint environment)

As you probably can tell we are at the very beginning of the migration process. We know we've got another year to get this established, setup as we want it and migrate the data that we want to take with us. I can let you know our progress as and when we make some more.

Regards,
    David

4. 2 Thanks to davipton:

funkyfin2000 (2nd August 2013), Gongalong (18th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Only just seen this! Will construct a reply and come back to you! I can certainly add my two pence worth!

6. Thanks to funkyfin2000 from:

Gongalong (18th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Right then, manage to get sat down and time to construct a reply, had our 3rd day of Office365 training today and just got the kids to bed so hopefully my thoughts make sense!

We are a support company that has had over 300 schools on RM's Learning Platform product for the last 5 years or so in Staffs. It's taken a lot of hard press but at the same time has also dealt some cracking rewards for those schools (why do you always hear about the negative but never the positive eh?) We worked hard to make RM's Learning Platform a success through my small team (and some help from RM that we paid for)

We recently tendered and selected RM Unify, Office365 and RM's Site Creator tool to move us forward from the LP. I think this was the best decision (ask yourself is the traditional learning platform dieing?) and it gives our schools the best tools to work with going forward.

Migration is a tricky area - we are encouraging our schools to look at what they did previously and learn from this before creating a new structure and set up in Office 365. We have RM's Site Creator and today we had a real play with it now it's a live product (came out last week I think) and it is AWESOME! Having done 3 days of raw Office365 training through Novatronix (which has been excellent) we then used the site creator tool to match up our knowledge and see what it did in O365. I have to say it's brilliant, it does the majority of the work for you. It creates and builds all your sites, attaches the permissions and brands and customises the look and feel. After that you can use it to go back and build all your content inside the sites. Tried to break it and muck about in raw sharepoint afterwards and then use it and it dealt with all our changes including template copying extremely well.

We will encourage our schools to use this tool to "start again" in affect and then look to manually move any files and folders (dead easy through Explorer view in RM LP) and drag and drop in to O365 SharePoint or use Explorer view again. I think schools will be pleased with this due to the ease of use of the Site Creator tool! It does ALL the leg work for you!

Right what about Account Management - slightly complicated for us as our schools are continuing to be provisioned by their MIS in to the LP and then in to RM Unify for the moment, but to be fair, even if they were AD provisioned in to RM Unify (which some of our new schools will be) the same scenario will apply:

Office 365 gets all the provisioned accounts created inside it from RM Unify - they are then grouped in to your AD Containers - IE Teachers, Non Teachers, Students, Administrator etc.... These are created as Domain Groups in SharePoint. RM Site Creator takes these and applies some default permissions across the sites it creates. IE Staff Room has Full Access for Staff etc. You can go and edit them afterwards directly in O365 if you wish. We need to fully understand what permissions it has set, but actually adding content and pages afterwards you get the option in the RM Site Creator tool to set up the Read, Read/Write or Full Access for Students/Teachers etc at the time of creating it! Very impressive!

There won't be much work for our schools to do apart from add "apps" or a few "web parts" to the page, although again the Site Creator tool does add some default stuff in automatically!

Certainly much easier - granted we need to put this into practice with 170 schools from September and that will be the acid test, but so far very impressed. We look to design training for this over summer and if anyone else wants to access this they are welcome! Get in touch!

We also have about 60 websites running in the RM LP public sites area and our next training will be looking at how they are created and used in O365. Very different I hear

Any other questions, drop me a line!

Rich

8. 2 Thanks to funkyfin2000:

davipton (18th July 2013), Gongalong (19th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi Gongalong,

If you haven’t yet seen it, we have also published a document with advice on moving RM Learning Platform content here.

Kind regards,

Andrew Iles
    Senior Product Manager
    Digital Content and Platforms
    RM Education

10. Thanks to Andrew_Iles_RM from:

Gongalong (24th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Any further update on this @Gongalong ? Got any further?

12. Thanks to funkyfin2000 from:

Gongalong (26th September 2013)

Thank Post
    We're going to take a step back and just review what we want to do first, just in case Unify isn't the answer. I'm trying to get those involved to understand it's about objective rather than just selecting one product.

Even so Unify does look good (coupled with the Site Creator and Office 365 Sharepoint). I think we will have to extract from our LA's email system and migrate staff mailboxes to Office 365.

I'd love to know a bit more about setting up Office 365, and administration, but at least the mailbox side will be made easier by federating with Unify.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the update @Gongalong. Interesting times. Like I saw if you want to know anything about how we are getting on with implementation, more than happy to talk and discuss an honest and open picture of things

Can you say what LA you are with and what email system they are running? O365 mail is a good way forward for sure.

Setting up O365 is simple - we've set up over 100 tenancies now inline with working with each school and can get it sorted in 20mins or so inc DNS changes etc.

Mailbox/Sharepoint/Web Apps and Sky Drive all made VERY easy with Unify as all your users are already there and ready to go!

Rich

Thank Post
    We have just federated our office 365 with RM unify but all our users who were getting mail on ipad and phones now just get error messages about passwords. Even though these are correct the only way they can get mail is through a browser. Anyone got any ideas how to fix this. No response from RM on this so far.

Thank Post
    Hi Awade,

Can I ask whether or not you are still provisioning through your RM LP? Or is your RM Unify connected to your AD?

Dependent on which way you're provisioning will determine what the password will now be for any IMAP setup accounts. E.g. iPads, legacy outlook etc

Rich

Thank Post
    Hi Rich,

We are provisioning users through our AD.

Many thanks,

Andy

Thank Post
    Therefore the passwords should be their AD password.

Thank Post
    That's correct - but whatever ones we use the ipad mail app and the Windows 8 one just report bad password or unable to verify account. - very frustrating!

Thank Post
    Hmmmm, logging in via web, does it work with their AD username and password?

Thank Post
    Yep - no problems with accessing email on a browser using the AD username and passwords, it's just the ipads and phones that don't work despite following the the MS guide :-http://office.microsoft.com/client/15/help/preview?AssetId=HA102818554&lcid=2057&NS=OLWAO365E &Version=15&CTT=5&origin=HA103787373

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast