+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Secondary DHCP server in Technical; Is it possible to have a secondary DHCP server on the same domain? I got told it wasnt, but im ...
  1. #1
    timbo343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leeds/York area, North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,991
    Thank Post
    287
    Thanked 281 Times in 195 Posts
    Rep Power
    117

    Secondary DHCP server

    Is it possible to have a secondary DHCP server on the same domain? I got told it wasnt, but im sure you can. Can someone just clarify this please. Also, if you can, do you set it up in the same way as a normal DHCP server.

  2. #2

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,343
    Thank Post
    624
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Rep Power
    414

    Re: Secondary DHCP server

    Yes it's possible.

    Ben

  3. #3

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,343
    Thank Post
    624
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Rep Power
    414

    Re: Secondary DHCP server

    You set them up as normal but you can slpit the scope so that one server gives out say 70% of your leases and the other one 30% or something like that.

    If you use pxe/ris you may encounter problems.

    Ben

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    829
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Secondary DHCP server

    As plexer said you just select a different range of addresses for it to dish out to clients, we use to run two in the school all the time without any issues (we didn't use PXE/RIS) though.

  5. #5
    timbo343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leeds/York area, North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,991
    Thank Post
    287
    Thanked 281 Times in 195 Posts
    Rep Power
    117

    Re: Secondary DHCP server

    Cheers for the replies.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. DHCP on Server 2003
    By laserblazer in forum Windows
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30th September 2007, 09:16 PM
  2. Add additional dhcp server
    By Uraken in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20th February 2007, 11:25 PM
  3. Downsides to passing tftp server via 2003 DHCP server?
    By pete in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11th July 2006, 10:07 PM
  4. DHCP Server
    By SimpleSi in forum *nix
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17th May 2006, 11:09 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •