+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle Guest Access on certain courses in Technical; I have been tasked to merge our school website with our VLE, to create a single point of access for ...

Thank Post

Moodle Guest Access on certain courses

I have been tasked to merge our school website with our VLE, to create a single point of access for Students, Staff, Parents etc.

Our school website is running Moodle 2.1, and I have set auto login as guest in the site settings, as well as allowing guest access on each page/course to effectively make the site 'open' but without editing rights. We then just use the built in admin account to manage moodle with any updates.

Our VLE is also running Moodle (2.4.1 in this instance). We have LDAP authentication setup to users/students/staff have to login to gain access. I would like to put the content from the school website onto the VLE and do a rebrand of the site at the same time.
    I would like to allow guest access on certain courses, but lock down the system for the rest of the subject departments etc, which is where I am coming unstuck.

I can allow guest access on a cerain page/course and also set auto login as guest, but when I try and access the page with guest access, I get pinged back to the login screen.

Where am I going wrong? Guest access is enabled in Enrolment methods, so I am a little confused. Is it something to do with our course categories?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    _techie_

Thank Post
    Well just to go through step by step:
    * presumably the front page isn't log in only (ie before they see anything?)
    *Have you gone through all this - Guest access - MoodleDocs

Thank Post
    Hi,

Yes front page is open on VLE, and I have gone through those documents enabling guest access across the board!
    Really confusing!

Thank Post
    What message do you get when you get pinged back?

Thank Post
    Nothing, it just takes me straight to the login screen: https://moodle/login/index.php

Thank Post
    If all the settings are correct the only other thing I can suggest is to look in the database and try changing mnethostid from 1 to 0 -there were issues a while back on moodle.org with people having a corrupted/duplicate guest account (but you'd have had other clues as well, such as "guest" appearing in the login box, which is why it might well not be that) But worth a try.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information