+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 36 of 36
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, VLE's and primary schools: Ao nao comprende in Technical; Originally Posted by becktonboy Originally Posted by benit2 I do agree its a lot harder for primary schools to find ...
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    19
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: VLE's and primary schools: Ao nao comprende

    Quote Originally Posted by becktonboy
    Quote Originally Posted by benit2
    I do agree its a lot harder for primary schools to find money for such a project, being some do not even have decent computer suites .....That said Primary schools should not need to carry too much cost as they should team up with secondary schools (Feeder schools helped by secondary’s). This logic also means the children already know about such systems before getting to secondary school. Even if there use in primary school was to use it on a very basic level. The point is they have the skills and the logic to use it!.......... but the kids will lose out, and that is not fair on them!!
    benit2 you just don't get what goes on in primary schools or the relationship we have with the secondaries we feed into. I can just see our neighbourhood sec. hosting our 450 pupils! anyone reckon SIMS will be picking up the new arrivals and departuires of children (about 50 a year)? and of course they will really want to host all of our 5/6/7 year olds won't they? please get real...

    What logic is required of a VLE that my year 2s aren't already using accessing our network, saving intio their userarea, accessing shared areas + files and navigating websites?

    What, pray, might our primary children miss out on, some quizzes? e-mail they've already got in school but hardly ever use? content 30% can't access from outside school? discussion most wouldn't dream of taking part in or have the literacy skills to access? homework once a week they could do more easily on paper and the teachers don't much want to distribute electronically?......I could go on but the thrust of the OP is: what can a VLE offer a primary school that would solve a problem we have? or that we can't do by other means -e-mail, blogs, downloads from website etc?
    @Becktonboy I agree with some of your comments but think you are being a bit anti VLE in some elements of what you say. I am aware of Primary school operations - I worked with over 60 primary! Schools in Bristol over a 4 year period. This was both from an external company view and local council technician / advisor role.

    I understand some Secs are "look out for themselves only" approach - this is a shame because it does not help people like yourselves (I assume you work in primary). Its not un-common though to have a VLE hosted by Secs - I have a school i work closely with that host the VLE for all feader schools !! It does happen!. If not hosting though local county is always an option or grouping several primaries together to pull resources and budgets, its not impossible.

    Hosting early ages from a Secs point of view is not an issue, trust me from working in primary then moving to Sec, pupils in secs are trying to hack left right and centre so this is not a big issue. Some secs would also welcome it as part funding from feader schools helps enrich everyones experince with the VLE.

    I think you are missing the point of logic, I agree your year 2's are using basic skills that will help with all elements, but when I went to school we just about got onto excel in year 10 !! now schools are doing this at primary level. Do you see my point, this skill has jumped lets say 5 school years!! so if we look at VLE implementation in 10 years time, your argument could (find me in 10 years if i am wrong) look very weak.

    Even Bill at MS got it wrong - famous line 512kb should be enough for anyone what ever happens !!

    But remember, just because you primary school (s) may not see a way forward for the, if just 20% of schools do make use of them to have a positive impact on learning it is more than worth it. how many kids does that impact!!

    I do agree primary is such a debat, perhaps local gov could provide more guidance to primaries, but even if you use your existing "means" such as email etc in the VLE, this is great as primary school teachers could then share resources between teachers and then between schools. thats a very hard target it would be hard to acheive most other ways.

    I think you dont know it, you kind of have part of a VLE allready, Email / blogs, downloads. The word VLE is just putting that all together!! in a way you feel works!!

  2. #32

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    43
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: VLE's and primary schools: Ao nao comprende

    Quote Originally Posted by benit2
    anti VLE in some elements of what you say
    Point taken, it does sound that way, I'm not opposed at all, my objection is that a VLE is a solution for a problem my school does not have but we will be required by diktat to have one and the not inconsiderable funding will be wasted.

    Quote Originally Posted by benit2
    Its not un-common though to have a VLE hosted by Secs
    That is SO not going to happen in my area.


    Quote Originally Posted by benit2
    I think you are missing the point of logic, I agree your year 2's are using basic skills that will help with all elements, but when I went to school we just about got onto excel in year 10 !! now schools are doing this at primary level. Do you see my point, this skill has jumped lets say 5 school years!! so if we look at VLE implementation in 10 years time, your argument could (find me in 10 years if i am wrong) look very weak.
    If VLEs in 10 years time are providing opportunities not available (for free) elsewhere, I'm sure we would jump on board then. At present a VLE has nothing to offer my school. The skills involved are incredibly basic and well covered by year 2 or 3. If VLEs do demand higher skill levels in the future I would bet that those skill levels will have already been exceeded by other curricular demands. Meet you here in 10 years to discuss that one.

    Quote Originally Posted by benit2
    But remember, just because you primary school (s) may not see a way forward for the, if just 20% of schools do make use of them to have a positive impact on learning it is more than worth it. how many kids does that impact!!
    Haven't got a problem with other schools pursuing VLEs, I won't be forcing anyone not to have one, on the other hand my school will be forced to have one, without any consultation.


    Quote Originally Posted by benit2
    I think you dont know it, you kind of have part of a VLE allready, Email / blogs, downloads. The word VLE is just putting that all together!! in a way you feel works!!
    Oh no, I am aware; my point/question is: what can a VLE offer my school that can't be achieved through means already at our disposal, for free?

    I repeat, a VLE is not a solution to any problem we have but we are going to HAVE to have one anyway and the funding that is being spent on it in our name will be wasted. As I have said elsewhere, my view might soften if I could only convince my HT that a VLE requires AC in the IT suite.......

  3. #33

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,369
    Thank Post
    525
    Thanked 2,611 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    890

    Re: VLE's and primary schools: Ao nao comprende

    I agree with becktonboy here - VLE's just don't seem to offer anything to our school, but we are required to have one.

    The teachers who have looked at it have seen it as more work, and I see it as being a solution to a problem we just don't have at our school's age group. Sure, its perfect for GCSE level kids, but year 5 - 8 just don't need it.

    Happily, my boss also sees it this way and isn't pushing it. But sooner or later, we are going to have to start using it to comply with the people telling us to use it.

  4. #34
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    48

    Re: VLE's and primary schools: Ao nao comprende

    Quote Originally Posted by eean
    There is a long thread on the TES website here about this. 68 post later I am yet to be convinced as how they can be of value to me or my school.
    [Rant]
    The problem is that the government have gone into a secondary school where they have seen a VLE/next big thing that:
    - Is fully integrated
    - Technologically works
    - Is lead by people who passionately believe it works and will make it work
    - Who are well trained (often spent many hours self training)
    - solves a problem that already exists
    They've seen this and saw it was brilliant "Why doesn't everyone do this!" they think.

    So they've applied a watered down, non-integrated version to a primary school (where there isn't a problem to solve) and expecting someone who doesn't understand them and doesn't really believe they will work to make it work! You're not going to get the same result!
    [/Rant]

    I also sat through 2 hours of a LEA consultant trying desparately to convince me that I should spend my time, and my collegues' time, on it. The brunt of their argument was "it's a government target." I, personally, am quite happy to add it to my list of government targets I'm going to fail to meet.
    I think you're right about having people on board who can make it work. This includes the technical staff who are enthusisastic and capable of maintaining and developing it. Staff who regularly use and update the system. Certainly when I was at uni we could really have benefited from a blackboard type system, as it was we had to make do with web pages created by staff - with no consistent look and feel. That at they're most advanced were merely a collection of lecture notes.

    I understand a college or uni environment is very different from a school environment. And some of the components of a VLE (i.e quizzes, chat systems) are of questionable benefit. But I think for the conscientious pupils it's great for them to have access to courseware, and opportunity to track their own progress. Of course the killer app is for any LMS is online teaching/trainign material beyond powerpoint slides. Microsoft Producer like content with audio and video over visual slides is a good start. I know from my own experience that video courseware - from the likes of Thomson/skillsoft and the more basic linear training offered by the likes of VTC is by a mile the best way to get to grips with difficult topics. Once courseware like this can be developed and become a part of any learning portal (and it can benefit when teaching any subject not just IT) then you'll really see the benefit of such systems.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    123
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: VLE's and primary schools: Ao nao comprende

    I think VLE's can be quite useful and the collaberation is a big issue.

    There are plenty of reasons to use them and as someone said getting kids on VLE's as early as possible will never be a bad thing, kids embrace things like this.

    As for the cost, well i have setup a moodle server over half term and it has not cost me anything, i also use the LDAP authentication method so when i create users in AD like i normally do, they can also logon to the VLE so admin time/cost is very little. I have the ICT Coordinator here working with year heads to encourage them to add content.

    Matt

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    19
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: VLE's and primary schools: Ao nao comprende

    Quote Originally Posted by becktonboy
    Quote Originally Posted by benit2
    anti VLE in some elements of what you say
    Point taken, it does sound that way, I'm not opposed at all, my objection is that a VLE is a solution for a problem my school does not have but we will be required by diktat to have one and the not inconsiderable funding will be wasted.

    Quote Originally Posted by benit2
    Its not un-common though to have a VLE hosted by Secs
    That is SO not going to happen in my area.


    Quote Originally Posted by benit2
    I think you are missing the point of logic, I agree your year 2's are using basic skills that will help with all elements, but when I went to school we just about got onto excel in year 10 !! now schools are doing this at primary level. Do you see my point, this skill has jumped lets say 5 school years!! so if we look at VLE implementation in 10 years time, your argument could (find me in 10 years if i am wrong) look very weak.
    If VLEs in 10 years time are providing opportunities not available (for free) elsewhere, I'm sure we would jump on board then. At present a VLE has nothing to offer my school. The skills involved are incredibly basic and well covered by year 2 or 3. If VLEs do demand higher skill levels in the future I would bet that those skill levels will have already been exceeded by other curricular demands. Meet you here in 10 years to discuss that one.

    Quote Originally Posted by benit2
    But remember, just because you primary school (s) may not see a way forward for the, if just 20% of schools do make use of them to have a positive impact on learning it is more than worth it. how many kids does that impact!!
    Haven't got a problem with other schools pursuing VLEs, I won't be forcing anyone not to have one, on the other hand my school will be forced to have one, without any consultation.


    Quote Originally Posted by benit2
    I think you dont know it, you kind of have part of a VLE allready, Email / blogs, downloads. The word VLE is just putting that all together!! in a way you feel works!!
    Oh no, I am aware; my point/question is: what can a VLE offer my school that can't be achieved through means already at our disposal, for free?

    I repeat, a VLE is not a solution to any problem we have but we are going to HAVE to have one anyway and the funding that is being spent on it in our name will be wasted. As I have said elsewhere, my view might soften if I could only convince my HT that a VLE requires AC in the IT suite.......
    I think as someone mentions, the cost can be so so small, and in addition to other items you allready have (wiki, blogs, email etc) you really could start to use things that you may not have thought of.

    I think is sounds like your school is well ran to have some of these features, govement sometimes need to set targets to make sure everyone is onboard a scheme or level of thinking. You are right that some schools will be kind of forced, but schools like yours could create a quick and free moodle install and you are done! or use the free MS SLK!!

    Govement schemes are not always the best (take RM KS3 tests -the tax payers paid RM £25million for that!!! then kind of binned it, but not quite for a cover up) but some things will never be perfect, make the best of the situation and run with it.

    I think your best approach would be to link a few primaries together, get them sharing teaching resources or discussions about primary teaching, good websites etc and see where it goes. I think you will be surprised at the uptake -even if only one teacher uses it, if it fails well you can't be blammed for not trying!

    Your question of what your will gain in primary in regards to a VLE, may only be answered, at least in your schools situation and perhaps others, is by getting your feet a little wet and having a go. I use our VLE for running the IT Department now, somethink I would never thought I would!!



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Primary Schools
    By j4y5 in forum BSF
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19th November 2008, 12:22 AM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 1st October 2008, 03:01 PM
  3. VLE for Primary Schools?
    By thegrassisgreener in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28th November 2007, 11:28 PM
  4. Support SLA for Primary Schools
    By deano in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23rd November 2007, 03:27 PM
  5. Site@School, a CMS for primary schools
    By Geoff in forum Links
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20th September 2006, 08:18 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •