+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Comparing VLEs, give me your pros and cons... in Technical; ....of these 4 options: Life (bare in mind we're leaving uniservitys old system) Frog Moodle (my personal opinion here is ...
    Thank Post

Comparing VLEs, give me your pros and cons...

....of these 4 options:
    Life (bare in mind we're leaving uniservitys old system)
    Frog
    Moodle (my personal opinion here is that we will never have the technical time to support this)
    MyBigCampus (we're a lightspeed customer so this is free)

Regardless of whether you've used more than one of those i'd like the pros and cons of what you have used, even better if you can compare one to another though.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,578 Times in 1,794 Posts
    We have Moodle. I don't touch it as I knew if I did I would end up doing it all. The IT teacher uses it all the time - all his lesson plans are there etc. A couple of other teachers use it but most don't as it isn't particularly user friendly in my opinion.

3. Thanks to witch from:

mrbios (17th May 2013)

Thank Post
    We've been using our LA's proprietary system which is based on Digital Brain. The cut we get is easy to administrate and looks very pretty for infant schools. I've been playing with MyBigCampus for the last couple of months. It seems to be every bit as easy to use, has more features and would save us £5/pupil per year which I can think of loads of ways to spend - and even if didn't get it, equates to 50% of spend of curriculum resources for maths.

Sorry, did you spot the bitterness? The prettiness argument is winning at the minute.

If you're a secondary, the interface should work well - it looks remarkably similar to Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    ....of these 4 options:
    Life (bare in mind we're leaving uniservitys old system)
    I prefer to bear things in mind when I'm at work. I keep bare minds for home

Thank Post
    We use moodle extensively and it just hums along. The only support that I have to do is assign access rights. During the summer break we're migrating from 1.9 to 2.3. I already have the new server running and I've performed a couple of test installs and data migration. The process is remarkably easy. There are a few problems with plugins but they are quite easy to solve. I've found moodle to be intuitive and there is always assistance available on the hosted forums.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmak View Post
    We've been using our LA's proprietary system which is based on Digital Brain. The cut we get is easy to administrate and looks very pretty for infant schools. I've been playing with MyBigCampus for the last couple of months. It seems to be every bit as easy to use, has more features and would save us £5/pupil per year which I can think of loads of ways to spend - and even if didn't get it, equates to 50% of spend of curriculum resources for maths.

Sorry, did you spot the bitterness? The prettiness argument is winning at the minute.

If you're a secondary, the interface should work well - it looks remarkably similar to Facebook.

I prefer to bear things in mind when I'm at work. I keep bare minds for home
    @jmak. Log back in after June 1st massive re design, look and feel, bigger icons generally prettier and will scale to any screen size. New iOS and Android App also.

Simon

7. Thanks to Eappariello from:

jmak (17th May 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread