+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, VLE/Learning Platform in Technical; Hi everyone I'm looking at the prospect of bringing in a VLE/Learning Platform/All in one solution in to our School. ...

Thank Post

VLE/Learning Platform

Hi everyone

I'm looking at the prospect of bringing in a VLE/Learning Platform/All in one solution in to our School. I'd like to know if there are any other Independant schools out there that have one and if so how is well is it used by Pupils, staff and parents. I would be very grateful for any feedback as I have been looking in to solutions such as Firefly, Frog, Moodle or Custom development (potentially based on our current SharePoint setup).

In general what I'm looking for a system to do is to act as a one stop shop for Parents, pupils and staff to go to access Internal School information, access functionality provided by our MIS, access Homework and curriculum, access subject specific teaching resources, access to their own file area.

I'd be really interested to know how other schools have approached this.

Kindest regards
    Simon Evans

Thank Post
    Simon,
    To help others give you advice would you be prepared to share which MIS software you use?

David

Thank Post
    Happy to We recently moved to Schoolbase and are in to our 2nd full academic year with them.

Thank Post
    Simon - lots of Independent Schools are using the free Google Apps for Education (mail, calendar, drive and sites) as the core of their cloud based approach to learning & teaching. There are some great examples both here in the UK (James Wilding at Claires Court, Maidenhead) and in the USA (Ravenscroft School - James Ramsden) and if you would like to learn more I would be very happy to connect you to these schools. Regards Ian

Thank Post
    I have 3 of my 5 primary schools using Google Apps for ED as a replacement for the schools main website and VLE. My other 2 schools are moving to G apps in the next few months.
    It has worked very well for us and does everything you listed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by c-learning View Post
    Simon - lots of Independent Schools are using the free Google Apps for Education (mail, calendar, drive and sites) as the core of their cloud based approach to learning & teaching. There are some great examples both here in the UK (James Wilding at Claires Court, Maidenhead) and in the USA (Ravenscroft School - James Ramsden) and if you would like to learn more I would be very happy to connect you to these schools. Regards Ian
    Thanks. I've taken a good look at Google Apps and it looks great for creation of documents and other materials and as a general site but it doesn't go anywhere near covering interaction with our MIS which is a major requirement. We are quite a large Primary and Secondary. Our MIS has Homework setting features, Parents evening features, Staff to be able to do class registration and lots of other features. I don't see any way to interact them with what Google can provide.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread