+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Virtual Library in Technical; I wonder if anybody can help, I sat down today reviewing the options we have for spending the budget we ...

Thank Post

Virtual Library

I wonder if anybody can help, I sat down today reviewing the options we have for spending the budget we have been allocated and one item that was brought up was having a virtual library (VL).

A couple of years ago due to increasing pupil numbers the school decided to get rid of the library to make way for a classroom and this was never replaced, now some of the staff are asking what are the possibilities of a VL.

Has anybody gone down this route and created one or can pass on a little info as to how to proceed, it needs to be a VL that is available to Windows, Android and Apple devices so preferably something web based might be best, or is there any other options i.e. a supplier that can provide the service and has apps for the various devices.

Thank Post
    Have a lookie at rm books.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    RM Books seems to be one of the best options here at least. We've got Overdrive which I'm far from impressed with, especially for it's vast cost compared to the RM solution.

Thank Post
    Getting rid of the library doesn't sound like the best planning on the world!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    Getting rid of the library doesn't sound like the best planning on the world!
    No your not kidding, I will have a look at RM books thanks just been looking here as well;

Micro Librarian Systems : Junior Librarian

How does RM Books work then and does it work out expensive ???

Thank Post
    RM Books allows you to access over 1000 old books free of charge - old classics etc.

If you don't have the physical books already it will be cheaper to purchase the electronic versions via RMBooks if you are starting from scratch with the added bonus of:

* Books dont get lost, damaged or stolen
    * When the overdue period has lapsed you can recall the book for the next student
    * Creates queues of students so you know exactly who has the book next
    * Works on multiple devices - basically any device with a web browser.
    * RM Books is free to setup and use - I would probably recommend RM Unify if your a secondary school it's around 500 which will pull data from your AD and create student / staff accounts automatically and you wont need to worry about importing CSV files all of the time.

The link you have put up to MLS, that is the Library software used to book out physical copies of books, im not sure whether you can actually push e-books out via this or certainly you couldn't 12 - 18 moths ago when I last looked at it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Junior Librarian/Eclipse isn't a virtual book system, it's a library management system for actual libraries. It does link in with "overdrive" although it's still in very early stages and the latter comes at huge cost. And the link is still also in early stages - i.e. you still need separate sign ins for Eclipse/Junior and Overdrive. Not ideal if you're looking at this for a primary which it sounds like.

Thank Post
    RM books has an online viewer and ipad & android reader apps. No kindle or nook which makes it a bit spendy if you want to use cheap offline readers.

Thank Post
    I would advocate RM Books - we are rolling it out to 170 schools next term..... it's come on a long way since its inception in September.....I still think there are some downfalls, they need to encourage the big publishers to put on common books that kids are reading as one of the areas.

Schools we have shown the service too think it looks brilliant and are really up for trying a service like this and are prepared to spend money on it (you don't have too remember - there's a 1000 free classics!)

They have also just updated the IOS and Android app which now syncs (inc proxied connections on both platforms) to your RM Unify/RM Books account! It's fab!

I wouldn't be getting rid of physical books though! That's not the idea - it's to compliment books and allow you as a school to more flexible for the end user. The evidence also suggests from the literacy trust that using physical and e-books together gives better outputs and results!

If you want to ask any questions about how we get on with our 170 schools drop me a line!

Rich

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread