+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Convert IMS to SCORM in Technical; Does any know how to convert Moodle content to SCORM 2004 content?...

Thank Post

Convert IMS to SCORM

Does any know how to convert Moodle content to SCORM 2004 content?

Thank Post

Re: Convert IMS to SCORM

Hi Geekman,

To create SCORM 2004 content, at its simplest, you just need to package the content. The best tool for this at the moment is Reload, available free from www.reload.ac.uk. Select File | New, then either "IMS package" or "SCORM 2004" package.

Reload creates a manifest file (called 'imsmanifest.xml') in your working folder. Drag files from the working directory or subfolders onto the Reload organisation tree.

The key, mandatory difference between Scorm and IMS packaging is that in Scorm, each resource must be given an attribute of ScormType, to equal either "sco" or "asset". "sco" means that the resource supports the Scorm runtime protocol, allowing it to exchange data with the learning platform as it runs (marks, state, preference, communications etc.). So from the user's point of view, packaging brings no benefits, except that it makes the content transferrable to other systems. It is in supporting the runtime (and, if you like, sequencing - another add-on) that the user starts to see the benefit.

If you already have an IMS package, then you are probably best completely re-creating the the manifest file (copy all the files into a new folder as you can only have one "imsmanifest.xml" in a folder).

Hope this helps.

Crispin.
    www.alphalearning.co.uk

Thank Post

Thanks for that Crispin, but the problem i have is that I have created over a hundred IMS (moodle) projects and the school has decided to implement SLK which is not compatable with moodle only SCORM 2004. How do I convert my hundred or so moodle resources into SCORM or do i have to recreate each one? through the method you have said?

Thank Post

Have you tried the IMS packages on your SCORM 2004 platform? The format of a plain vanilla SCORM manifest is almost identical to the IMS.

If it really doesn't work, you could try a search-and-replace on the imsmanifest.xml files (i.e. backup first, obviously). Have a look at your imsmanifest files and see exactly what you have in the ??? spot below, then

Replace
    xsi:schemaLocation="???"
    with
    xmlns:adlcp="http://www.adlnet.org/xsd/adlcp_v1p3" xsi:schemaLocation="??? http://www.adlnet.org/xsd/adlcp_v1p3 adlcp_v1p3.xsd"

and then replace
    <resource
    with
    <resource adlcp:scormType="asset"

Otherwise talk to your platform provider about it. - if they already import SCORM 2004 it would be a 10 minute job to import IMS too.

Good luck.

Crispin.
    www.alphalearning.co.uk

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread