+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, VLE Comparisons in Technical; Thank you everyone. As always, there is so much to consider here. I now have a good deal to work ...

Thank Post
    Thank you everyone.

As always, there is so much to consider here. I now have a good deal to work with, whilst I draft up a proposal. Going to be a busy term, that's for sure :-)

Thank Post
    depending what you need to achieve, Google Apps for Education is free, has good support both online and by phone, has unlimited amount of websites you can create from pre built profiles and the system would also extend to other possibilities such as email, calendars, documents sharing, AD integration and a tone of apps.

Thank Post
    We're in the exact same position, looking to overhaul our current VLE. We've used RM KLP, which I'm not a huge fan of. Currently looking at eSchools and liking it a lot. Does anyone know of any downsides to it?

Thanks

Thank Post
    No timetable integration, but I'm aware that's a niche feature (I'm just very fond of it).

Thank Post
    Kite is the offering from e4education. We adopted this system at the beginning of the academic year to replace our much hated RM Portal: I can't believe the difference and neither can my colleagues. We spent most of last year researching, getting demos of and running trials of various VLE products and this one came out on top for our purposes: very easy to use, does what it says on the tin, more than flexible enough for our purposes; which, in terms of ease of use at least, is more than I can say for many of it's competitors. Costs are also very favourable.

Thank Post
    We have been working with e4education for a number of years for both our website and the Kite VLE. I have to say that Kite in particular has changed our lessons for the better for students, staff and even parents!! we work very closely with the team at Kite to look at new ways to improve and keep things fresh. Our experience with Kite in the classroom has definitely changed the way in which we plan and deliver lessons through the simple and easy to use lesson block creation tool, drag and drop file management and the 'creative' approach to lesson planning... not to mention having a timetable on hand and access to network drives on the school system, it really is a great all round solution and is as flexible as you want it to be.

Hope this helps.

Thank Post
    Been looking at a few VLE options lately, we had a demonstration of Lightspeeds MyBigCampus. Highly recommend having a look, personally really like it.

8. Thanks to mrbios from:

Eappariello (1st May 2013)

Thank Post
    @LausHHS, if I may ask... how do you find the accessibility of Kite from a mobile device, i.e. does all (or most) of it work from the Android Browser, Mobile Safari etc? I haven't really been able to test it on that score yet.

Thank Post
    I use Kite regularly with iOS and frequently with Mobile Safari: Other than some of the usual issues with scroll bars on iPad/iPhone the only real problem is staff and kids uploading files to Kite portfolios, etc, as the file system on iOS is generally inaccessible. I understand that Kite are working on an app to overcome these issues, which will be most welcome. However, neither of these are actually problems of their making, more peculiarities of iOS. Google Apps integration will help as many other apps already share to Google Drive quite easily and presumably it will be a short hop from Google Drive onto Kite. We have found that Chrome is the most glitch free browser to use with Kite. I've tested Kite briefly with Android while assessing mobile devices for general use within the school and whilst these tests were far from thorough or scientific I don't remember any significant issues.

11. Thanks to Shastings from:

Ephelyon (24th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Interesting to see the problems with Moodle in this thread. Many of them can be resolved without a great deal of effort. From the recent research I've done I find that Moodle is chosen and implemented without much thought for teaching and learning.

Generally, it's a basic install with all its bells-and-whistles and teachers are 'told', 'encouraged' just to get on with it. It's rarely configured to meet current school needs and skills. There's a sort of expectation that teachers will 'pick-it-up'. Given that online learning is a big shift in pedagogy it's hardly surprising that teachers can find Moodle difficult and clunky.

With a reasonable degree of skill a Moodle can be setup and configured to meet current skills and pedagogy and look really good for primary, secondary, FE or HE.

Thank Post
    Moodle needs support. You need someone who is either programming oriented or technically minded. It also needs to be planned. We use moodle for our preparatory, middle and senior school although it has been a hard slog to get it where is is today. The "enrol onto course" hierarchy is not intuitive. Page editing is clunky compared to the likes of frog or firefly. Although it is free it needs more "upkeep" and setting up than paid solutions. Calendar sync with exchange is pretty much dead in the water (iCAL as an intermediatory isnt really a solution). IIS webdav native support doesnt work either so no mapping of school shared drives if you are an MS only house.

But it has no initial purchase cost so once it is up and running (assuming your technician time is "spare") then it has set you back £0. It can also be customised quite well.

It can be used effectively though, you just need to think the hierarchy of moodle through. Plus the reasoning and expectations of what you want your VLE to do: simply content management or full blow "can learn from home" system.
    Last edited by KK20; 25th April 2013 at 10:05 AM.

14. Thanks to KK20 from:

mthomas08 (2nd May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Been looking at a few VLE options lately, we had a demonstration of Lightspeeds MyBigCampus. Highly recommend having a look, personally really like it.
    Happy to arrange demo accounts for anyone that would like to have a look at MyBigCamous. Just pm me.
    The parent portal pece has a open demo area parents.mybigcampus.com

Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12