+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle 2.4 & Windows Share Web Client in Technical; Hi, I have a fresh build of Moodle 2.4 running on Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS On ubuntu I've installed the Samba ...

Thank Post

Moodle 2.4 & Windows Share Web Client

Hi,

I have a fresh build of Moodle 2.4 running on Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS

On ubuntu I've installed the Samba SMB Client, I can test this by opening a terminal and typing smbclient \\\\SERVER-NAME\\HOMEDIR$ -U USER
    I can access the directory and use 'get' & 'put' etc

On Moodle I've enstalled the latest 'LDAP Capture Authentication Plug-in' , changed the DB to use this method for authentication, works fine.
    I've also installed the 'Windows Share Web Client' so that users can access Windows shares via Moodle. I've entered the locations of my file servers into the moodle config page & checked I can ping the addresses from within Ubuntu.

I've got the 'Windows Share Web Client' block on my front page and it looks nice but when I click on a link to a Windows share it opens a blank web page (Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage)

I've had a look at the web hoping to find some info but I haven't found much - can anyone suggest anything? Any logs I could look at to try and pin it down etc.

Thank Post
    Here's some more info. The Ubuntu server isn't 'live' - it's on our local network & only a few people can access it for testing purposes. The Ubuntu Server has a static IP address. Moodle sits in the var/www/moodle folder. We have domain names / public IP addresses/ SSL certs in hand, we just want to be sure that everything is working correctly before we make it available to our users.

We access Moodle from Windows machines by opening a browser and typing <Ubuntu server IP address>/moodle

As said previously, clicking on a directory link in the 'Windows Network Share Block' pulls up a blank web page (Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage)

If I try this in FireFox I get a blank page with the message 'Unable to Connect - FireFox cannot establish a connection to server <Ubuntu Server IP>.

Is the extra '.' on the end of the IP address significant?

Ive checked the 'Windows Network Share Block' settings and it appears to be pointing to the correct location of the Samba smbclient...

Thank Post
    It could be that the block is configured to operate over ssl and you don't have ssl working correctly.
    It could also be that the windows shares you have configured are done incorrectly for the version of the block.
    In older versions of the block you had to put the shares in with the format
    /domain/sever/share
    The latest BETA version of the block is simpler in that you just use standard windows share formats - e.g.
    //server/share

Have you tried the new BETA version for Moodle 2.2+?

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?...smb_web_client

Thank Post

Joomla

Quote Originally Posted by citricity View Post
    It could be that the block is configured to operate over ssl and you don't have ssl working correctly.
    Weird, I thought I'd updated this ages ago... Yes the problem was SSL - as it's a test site (only available on our local network) and at the moment only a handful of people have access to it, I haven't installed an SSL cert.

From my original post : "I've got the 'Windows Share Web Client' block on my front page and it looks nice but when I click on a link to a Windows share it opens a blank web page (Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage)"

The url points to a https page, changing it to http and reloading = success! Obviously I will install the SSL cert before the site goes live.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread