+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, New moodle install really slow? in Technical; Hi, I have just installed moodle however it is really slow, even loading the homepage which is blank takes five ...

Thank Post

New moodle install really slow?

Hi,

I have just installed moodle however it is really slow, even loading the homepage which is blank takes five second.

The server is a new install and is running i3 processor, 4gb ram. No other server apps running.
    Heres the process i went through to install it:

Install iis, mysql, php
    Set Fast cgi up in iis 7.5
    uncomment out all of the required extensions in php.ini and keys such as cgi.force = 0
    increase fastcgi timeout to 900
    create database and give a user access to it,
    ran the http://localhost/install.php] installer
    Installed the config.php file.
    Followed the instructions.

Is there somethign that still needs to be set?

Have had a look online and cant seem to find any solutions.

Ram is running at 816mb and processor at 0-1% normally.
    Last edited by dany2010; 14th January 2013 at 10:50 AM.

Thank Post
    Have you tried a PHP accelator?

Where does the DNS get resolved? Is it directly across your network, or does it leave your building? We have had issues where our Moodle access is out via a broadband link and then back in via broadband, instead of direct when using a network machine. There are obvious overheads.

Also, what are the specs of the server you are running on? Way back when we were using Moodle 1.9 (might even be earlier), we had speed issues. Sticking in a load of RAM and making sure that the server had enough disk space helped, as did phpaccelarator.

Phil

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply,

Dns is on another server on the same switch. Just tested it out and seems normal.

At the minute its on my laptop (testing),
    Specs:

Intel i3-2328m 2.2GHz
    4gb ram
    1GB network

Just tried windows web server instead of server 2008 r2 and its prety much the same.

Thank Post
    That doesnt seem like a particularly good set up, even for testing - but Im way out of date on the specs.

Installing Moodle - MoodleDocs Is a basic spec but I think youare exceeding that. Have you tried watching task manager on the laptop when it is in use? Anything obvious?

Other than that, Ive no idea - like I say my server side experience is a little dated, if its not the DNS routing then I dont know!

Phil

Thank Post
    What is the disk usage like?

Thank Post
    We had to update IE on the clients when we upgraded our Moodle.

Thank Post
    This is such a massive topic it is really hard to know where to begin.

Firstly take a look at your MySql config and configure it to make good use of the RAM you have available. There is no point in having lots of RAM if nothing is configured to use it.

Secondly take a look at using an PHP opcode cache, such as xcache or php apc. Without one you are basically having to compile each pages code every time you load it. Again configure the cache to use the RAM you have available.

From the Moodle config side make sure you have theme designer mode turned off and Javascipt caching turned on.

Lastly think about some real hardware if you are going to be running a production system. On a laptop with one piddly hard disk you are going to have a crap-tonne of IO contention between the DB and other service for disk access as soon as you have even a handful of users on it. Get some suitable hardware and set it up well.

Some people will probably suggest running on a Linux OS, and they may have a good point. However if you are going to be running and maintaining this systems stick to the OS you are most comfortable with. There is a heap of helpful posts on the moodle.org forums also, that is your best source of advice on moodle in general.

Oh, and one more thing. If none of this makes any sense think about getting a professionally hosted Moodle and make tuning it someone else's problem.

Hope that helps somewhat.
    Last edited by mrverrall; 15th January 2013 at 02:36 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks mrverrall.

They have really complicated this when you look at the difference between 1.9 and 2.

The theme we have is so simple and i understand quite alot of it. Moodle 2 themes just loose me in seconds.

Will give a php cache a go if i can ever get a good theme up. That and running on a proper server might be the answer.

Really want to avoid using another hosted version. The support weve had from what is supposed to be one of the best companies is just terrible.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread