+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Authoring Tools in Technical; I really need to find some [possibly free] authoring tools for our Microsoft Learning Gateway - in IMS/SCORM .zip format. ...

Thank Post

Authoring Tools

I really need to find some [possibly free] authoring tools for our Microsoft Learning Gateway - in IMS/SCORM .zip format.

I have used www.exelearning.org which is good but the only thing is that it lacks the functionality for the kids to enter free text which they can submit and teacher provide real feedback. Apart from that its fantastic!!

I looked at reload.ac.uk and their tools but when I use it I end up confused!!

I really like want something like Microsoft Class Server Teacher Client ... but free...

Has anybody got the MS Grava beta which they can share? or recommend any other tools?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Re: Authoring Tools

how about MSlearning essentials, a plugin for office that provides the Hunterstone SCORM export. it also adds a nice lot of bloat to you office install - and in usual MS style, makes it run like treacle.
    http://www.microsoft.com/learningess...s/default.mspx

Thank Post

Learning Essentials is awful... what I want my authoring tool to do is:
    1. Assignments - teacher sets assignment - kids submit online - teacher marks online and provides feedback!

2. Question and automarking ...

3. Questions and teacher marking...

These features seem to appear in soliatre demo but not on learning essentials!!! Microsoft Argh!!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

I think I surprised myself with that suggestion, sounds like you need a moodle install. http://docs.moodle.org/en/Assignment

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I'd agree with CyberNerd. You only seem to have decided on the MLG in June - is it too late to upgrade your VLE provision to Moodle?

Thank Post

It still could be a good solution ... but I am struggling until I find a good authoring tool and learn how it all works - I have been told to champion the gateway!

I could integrate it with moodle webparts - that sounds like a very good idea ... however I don't want to be replicating stuff - different accounts etc.

Looks like I'll be doing more web researching.

Thanks for your help guys

Thank Post

Try courselab it's brilliant! its free

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries

We are looking at an SLK wrapper that you can put wound the teacher client for class server. I hope to have a ply with it in Tuesday. I'll let you know what I think.

We have looked at eXe and reload too ... for some of our staff we need something simpler ... not come across courselab before ... I will have a play and try to create some content.

Thank Post

I think there are two separate functions here - packaging content using Reload is something that authors, publishers and enthusiastic teachers do.

Material submitted by students for teacher marking or for social networking purposes is not "content" in the SCORM/IMS sense but... (I'm not sure there is recognised word for it)... "product" perhaps. Or if you insist that it is all "content", then perhaps we should find another word for the authoritative teaching content - I have always liked "courseware" - so perhaps it would be clearer if we talked about "courseware packaging", not "content packaging".

The handling of these student interactions must at the moment be native to the platform (i.e. if your platform does not do it the way you like, complain to the platform or find a different one). In the future there needs to be interoperability standards for e-portfolio which will allow this material to be transferred between systems seamlessly - but we ain't got 'em at the moment.

Crispin.
    www.alphalearning.co.uk

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread