+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Frog: opening docs and saving back to location in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Frog: opening docs and saving back to location

Afternoon All
    We are in the process of moving to FROG from SharePoint, the decision to go to FROG was on the curriculum side (they liked it etc etc), anyway here’s the setup

FROG Server

W2K8 R2 server file server holding all files (these are accessed through frog) the rights are set on the file server to the various shares

Windows 7 users, IE8 (and IE9)

Problem
    When a user (teacher who has read write access to the file share) opens a file (word doc) through FROG, they have do the download/ open/ enable editing. Then edit the doc and then when they select ‘save’ it doesn’t get saved back the share where it originally came from but to the following area on the users local profile:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window s\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\QO3M5PKQ\Test doc1 (1).docx

Users would have to select ‘save as’ then navigate back the mapped drive (not through frog) to the original shared folder. I can see this is going to cause problems for me, staff will not select save as and we’ll end up with docs all over place.

I have searched the net and found that this is the expected behaviour of a doc downloaded using internet explorer, however when we use the sharepoint the doc gets saved back in the location where it came from.

Is it possible to change this in the setup we have i.e. frog server/ users accessing documents on a file server? So that when the user opens a doc edits it, and saves it will automatically save in the location it was opened from?

Do I need change the setup, store the docs on frog? What steps do I need to take, what are the backup implications (we use DPM)?

I have also tried the frog live app, but get the same results.
    Cheers
    Mike

Thank Post
    This is expected behaviour in Frog your best bet is to simply use network shares that users access directly while on site and map them through frog so they can access them at home where the download upload routeen will be required.

3. Thanks to Tallwood_6 from:

DellOughta (30th November 2012)

Thank Post
    I've read on hear that frog live is supposed to solve this issue....how does it? I've installed it and get exactly the same results, is there some settings somewhere that need changing?

Mike

Thank Post
    FrogLive "was designed" for files stored in Frog not files stored on a shared drive. See other posts for use of Froglive.

6. Thanks to frogwoman from:

DellOughta (30th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks to a fellow forum member (Quince) I have a found an acceptable workaround/solution to this problem that is very easy to implement.

In Frog Admin part where you make a network path available, instead of adding a network path, you add a small piece of html coding allowing widows explorer to be embedded in an iframe.

(Sorry I’m not frog trained so might not have the correct terminology for the steps to take)

In the above area in Frog Admin, delete the path that you originally had in the left hand pane. Then, simply DRAG a Text and Pictures Brick to the area where the old path used to visible (or a HTML Brick if its installed on your server)
    image1.png

You should now see a highlighted box, it should say ‘Double Click to Add Text and / or Pictures’
    image2.png

Double click this new box, and you’ll be presented with the following screen, add the following piece of code (edited to your setup)
    image3.png

<iframe width="400" height="400" src="F:\"></iframe>

(obviously the height and width and path can be changed to whatever you desire

Or you could do it a folder share using the full path
    <iframe width="400" height="400" src="\\FILESERVER\Students"></iframe>

Then select the Strip Formatting icon
    image4.png

You should now see something like this
    image5.png

Save and publish this link, now users should be able to access the doc edit the doc and save it back in the location where it originally came from (providing all the correct rights are set on the share, and there’s no goofy group policies stopping).
    image6.png

Cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by DellOughta; 3rd December 2012 at 04:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Fair enough, wont work from home though surely?

Thank Post
    Does this work externally as well? just very curious how this has worked. If it works how it looks I might have to implement it here, being able to better open/save is much better this way.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    Fair enough, wont work from home though surely?
    Using an IF Local User brick, the code above could be made to only appear inside school. Outside school, you could still use an Network Files Brick. Ok, so it's more inconvenient, but the benefits in school are there.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    Using an IF Local User brick, the code above could be made to only appear inside school. Outside school, you could still use an Network Files Brick. Ok, so it's more inconvenient, but the benefits in school are there.
    Ah, such a shame.

Although we have managed to get secure gateway working well for those who prefer to use that way.

Thank Post
    Does secure gateway tie up computers? Or is there a way to use virtual machines?

Thinking about external access. If you know the external IP address of the server, could you grant access in a similar way?

file://172.15.etc.../

Graham
    Last edited by S.C.; 3rd December 2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: added bit about ip address

Thank Post
    It does use PCs, I am currently working on a virtual terminal services server - this should work in the same principle.

Virtual machines should also work as well.

As for the external access, I have not attemtped browsing using the IP.

Although I hear FrogOS should save/open in a normal way.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread