+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moving VLE (Moodle) from Gfl to New Hosting in Technical; Hi Everyone, I am new to edugeek (this is my first post), in fact I am new to educational ICT ...

Thank Post

Moving VLE (Moodle) from Gfl to New Hosting

Hi Everyone,

I am new to edugeek (this is my first post), in fact I am new to educational ICT. My background is in software development (CRM for business) so this has been a steep learning curve for me.
    I would dearly like to 'talk' to anyone who has moved their Moodle site from the local Gfl and onto some other hosting. We are about to undertake this and I want to be aware of any potential pitfalls before I jump in feet first.

I am concerned about a few things:
    1 - I am quite new to Moodle and need to get my skills improved quickly!.
    2 - How do we actually get our data off of where it is now and into a test environment ready for the move.
    3 - How we are going to deal with the parts of the system that are 'locked down' by the current providers. i.e. I have no way to add administrator access to a user.
    4 - The best way to deal with the school's theme etc.

If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it. Obviously my main concern is this is as pain free and seamless for the school as possible.

Thank you :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rower View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I am new to edugeek (this is my first post), in fact I am new to educational ICT. My background is in software development (CRM for business) so this has been a steep learning curve for me.
    I would dearly like to 'talk' to anyone who has moved their Moodle site from the local Gfl and onto some other hosting. We are about to undertake this and I want to be aware of any potential pitfalls before I jump in feet first.

I am concerned about a few things:
    1 - I am quite new to Moodle and need to get my skills improved quickly!.
    2 - How do we actually get our data off of where it is now and into a test environment ready for the move.
    3 - How we are going to deal with the parts of the system that are 'locked down' by the current providers. i.e. I have no way to add administrator access to a user.
    4 - The best way to deal with the school's theme etc.

If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it. Obviously my main concern is this is as pain free and seamless for the school as possible.

Thank you :-)
    I would start at https://moodle.org/course/view.php?id=5 there's a lot of information in the forums for you to digest.

3. Thanks to kili from:

Rower (23rd November 2012)

Thank Post
    If you yourself have administrator access you can backup your site - or individual courses (unless you have hundreds in which case it would take forever) and then restore to a test environment and then eventually into your newly hosted Moodle. The link to Moodle forums is great-there is also up to date documentation for each version of Moodle - for example Backup - MoodleDocs

5. Thanks to secretlife from:

Rower (23rd November 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by secretlife View Post
    If you yourself have administrator access you can backup your site - or individual courses (unless you have hundreds in which case it would take forever) and then restore to a test environment and then eventually into your newly hosted Moodle. The link to Moodle forums is great-there is also up to date documentation for each version of Moodle - for example Backup - MoodleDocs

Thank you. Only problem is that I can't run the backup myself (even with our administrator access) as we don't have full admin rights. For example, I don't even see the settings-->Backup option (no settings menu at all). Half of the Site administration menu is looked down and shows me "Access denied"

I assume I am going to have to contact the providers about the back up,.... fun job for Monday then!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread