+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Sharepoint Portal grab SIP address from AD? in Technical; Hello all, long time reader first time poster. Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere, there seems to be ...

Thank Post

Sharepoint Portal grab SIP address from AD?

Hello all, long time reader first time poster. Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere, there seems to be a problem with the forum search today.

My school is using Sharepoint Portal with LDAP Active Directory authentication. All of the attributes (names, department etc) are correctly copied into Sharepoint when the user is created.

However, we would like to have the 'SIP Address' field automatically filled in so we can use Portal's 'presence' functionality - as far as I can see we have no dedicated LDAP attribute for this information. I've spent the afternoon scouring the web for a way around this to no avail - would we have to extend our AD schema to include these attributes?

I would be very grateful of some advice on how to get this data into Portal for our > 1200 users without manually editing each account. In our case the SIP address of a user is the same as their email address.

I'm new to Sharepoint and had never even heard of a SIP address before today - so apologies if the above doesn't make sense. Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts

Re: Sharepoint Portal grab SIP address from AD?

Do you not have to integrate MS's Live Communication Server into the equation to bring full SIP communication into this? (I'm throwing this idea in as I've no idea myself but it would make sense as that is also part of MS Office)

Thank Post

As far as I can see the SIP address is not an ldap attribute by default in Active Directory. However there is nothing to stop you mapping the SIPAddress in Sharepoint to the email address in AD. If they aren't always the same you could use another attribute within AD and map it to the SIP address.

To modify existing users I haven't found a better tool than admodify. For new users I'm using a script which imports them from SIMS so I put the attributes I want in there, but I think you can script admodify as well so you could run this as a scheduled task.

Thank Post

Interesting... at the moment we've only got Sharepoint Services 3.0, is it possible to map the AD email address to the SIP using this? If so, how? Or am I out of luck until we get full-blown MOSS?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread