+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, FROGOS - Anyone seen it? in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    I've upgraded our Frog box to 16Gb in readiness for OS - only to receive a "standard" email from the support desk stating that our server did not meet the minimum requirements for running Frog3 and OS side-by-side on the same server. Hmmm.

Noticed also in the same email was details of the pricing model for OS: £2500 per school, plus a £2-per-student surcharge. So if your school has 1000 students, you pay £4500 per year. Not sure how they charge if you have a lot of guest students, i.e. share a course with another local school. That question has yet to be answered.

All schools will move to this subscription-based model if you use FrogOS. Those new users still in their initial "maintained" period will stay with a perpetual license until the end of that period, then they will move to a subscription license (which handily will include Frog3 free - gee, thanks!)

The one thing I've not yet seen with FrogOS is the administration side. I hope we don't have to rely on a modified version of the Admin toolkit used by 3 - that's just dire!

Thank Post
    Just wondering how people are getting on a bit further down the line with FrogOS? We are in the process of upgrading to FrogOS and have had our current server upgraded with 16GB RAM. We are planning on running both FrogOS and Frog 3 side by side but it would be helpful if anyone could let us know if they have experienced any difficulties/ bugs/ network traffic problems before we decide to do this. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thank Post
    Hi

We have just activated FrogOS running on new unbadged Dell Server supplied by Frog, we are running alongside Frog 3 and synched a few users today. I'm a bit surprised its very sluggish vs Frog 3' running this on an iPad, PC, Andriod and Surface RT, all slower than Frog 3 in comparison. Looks slick though but it crashes a lot on my iPad and also certain functions like uploading files don't work on RT or the standard andriod browser.

Thank Post
    Did Frogtrade stipulate you had to have a SSL certificate installed on the server before they would install and activate the FrogOS installation?

I got this requirement dropped on me the other week. I was going to send them a certificate from our internal CA but they insisted it has to be a fully-validated certificate from a list of pre-approved public CAs (presumably to maintain compatibility with the mobile apps they are developing). Fortunately the CA I use for public certs (IPSCA) is on their list - but appears to have shut up shop so I have to go and purchase a certificate from another vendor, annoyingly!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrust View Post
    Did Frogtrade stipulate you had to have a SSL certificate installed on the server before they would install and activate the FrogOS installation?

I got this requirement dropped on me the other week. I was going to send them a certificate from our internal CA but they insisted it has to be a fully-validated certificate from a list of pre-approved public CAs (presumably to maintain compatibility with the mobile apps they are developing). Fortunately the CA I use for public certs (IPSCA) is on their list - but appears to have shut up shop so I have to go and purchase a certificate from another vendor, annoyingly!
    They did not advise me but I bought a SSL anyway since our original Frog3 didn't have one. Turned out later that we needed one for FrogOS. I bought my one from 123.reg.

Thank Post
    Just started on my Frog Learn and since the last few updates it has come on leaps and bounds, as now works between systems, it's now much faster and has planet estream, encyclopaedia britannica integration and I am learning integration. The apps Frog Drive and Frog Snap allow users to access files and folders on their ios devices and take pictures directly into the platform. Our staff are starting to use it and since we have put in system wide ios printing and group call emerge some now don't even touch their pcs.

Given it's only a few but it is all going the correct way and working, a little slow in dev but when it comes out it works and that used to be a big issue with frog 3.

I'm just hoping they keep this up as it is going to be an excellent product but they need to concentrate on the core and allow a lot of 3rd party integration, we use our vle for lots of Sso and a core set of functions, frog 3 I think was over developed and this is what lead to some schools becoming unhappy as you started to need a dedicated tech.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12