+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, What VLE 2012/2013? in Technical; Used and using a variety, but they all have common tools of discussion, blog, document storage / allocation / return ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,153 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Used and using a variety, but they all have common tools of discussion, blog, document storage / allocation / return and wiki. There are a few other additions such as IM, vidchat / video conferencing (there is a difference), scorm objects, etc. You can, of course, do all of these individually and join them together yourself.

Personally, SharePoint or Moodle ... making sure you work with the right partner on either to get AD integration and/or SSO to other resources.

2. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

JJonas (26th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Used and using a variety, but they all have common tools of discussion, blog, document storage / allocation / return and wiki. There are a few other additions such as IM, vidchat / video conferencing (there is a difference), scorm objects, etc. You can, of course, do all of these individually and join them together yourself.

Personally, SharePoint or Moodle ... making sure you work with the right partner on either to get AD integration and/or SSO to other resources.
    Does share point also allow kids to create their own websites on their my sites I think? Also share point allows connection to work areas doesn't it?

Thank Post
    Anyone use itslearning? Is it any good ? Price?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pmdc199 View Post
    Does share point also allow kids to create their own websites on their my sites I think? Also share point allows connection to work areas doesn't it?
    We use the basic version of sharepoint here, although when we was looking in to webspaces I was able to create student areas. I had to manually create each one though - not sure if the fully paid for version is any different though.

The students that started to use it though didnt like the way it all looked and felt.. which was a shame because at the time it was really nice to have.

Not over though with Frog which is much better for creating pages I plan on allowing students to create a folder for their own page designs and permissions are very easy to setup. On a huge to do list though.

6. Thanks to mthomas08 from:

JJonas (26th October 2012)

Thank Post

Frog costs

Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    We use the basic version of sharepoint here, although when we was looking in to webspaces I was able to create student areas. I had to manually create each one though - not sure if the fully paid for version is any different though.

The students that started to use it though didnt like the way it all looked and felt.. which was a shame because at the time it was really nice to have.

Not over though with Frog which is much better for creating pages I plan on allowing students to create a folder for their own page designs and permissions are very easy to setup. On a huge to do list though.
    Is Frog not megabucks though. Can you give me a rough idea of what you are paying and pupil numbers please?

Thank Post
    Its expensive but if you do your homework you do get good value for money. In the end it depends what you want out of it, if you want a basic VLE even the frog boss will turn around and say go get moodle.

We 1800 ish students and an additional Skills Centre which will be using it at some point.

The price last I checked it was well over a year now (I hear prices are dropping - not official though) 20K. Thing to remember about the price though it doesnt go up if you have more users or content. That was for secondary school pricing though.

There is an annual fee though but that does come with technical support and future updates, which I cant complain about because their updates have been pretty good. The next version of FrogOS looks very impressive. If you do really consider Frog I would always suggest doing the homework on it to make sure its the best thing for you.

For us we wasnt sure even when purchasing it, even during the training there was question marks after using it fully for 2 months for all users - we have very few complaints yet more and more staff wanting to get on board. Those who have been working on it for months have not even got bored of it, we even have non IT staff now designing pages or maintaining their websites.

We did have a huge demand though when it came to a VLE, we had one which was aging but did the very basics and that was it - moodle based and sadly only one man was maintaining it (BAR/Grade systems on it though are 2nd to none). We also purchased SecureGateway, Parent Portal and Frog to design our VLE and Website - which I have to admit is fantastic looking. Both have been popular designs when Frog demo to schools.

If you consider it, dont be afraid to ask questions - I wont lie it does have its flaws but dont they all.

Thank Post
    We are using Its Learning. Very simple to pick up, they can set up SSO to your AD using ADFS. SSO to Live@Edu soon to become Office365. There are also plans to integrate the Office365 apps straight into the platform.

After failing with two other paid for VLEs, this one has been a breath of fresh air.

Of course, you need to do you homework to see what suites your school.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12