+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, messaging students from Moodle in Technical; I've recently switched servers and installed a newer version of Moodle (2.2). We have student email accounts hosted on Google ...
    Thank Post

messaging students from Moodle

I've recently switched servers and installed a newer version of Moodle (2.2). We have student email accounts hosted on Google Apps with our domain as the subfix. Previously, I could've sworn that all messages within Moodle were sent to these addresses. Now it appears not to be the case. Moodle now only sends messages within Moodle. I notice that the output for SMTP can be configured but with only one account.

1. Am I imagining things?

2. If it is possible to send emails from teachers to students (and vice versa) using the messaging system and have them arrive to student@schooldomain.com, how can I configure that?

cheers

Thank Post
    Hi

We use the quickmail plugin for this.

Andy

Thank Post
    If your new server has SMTP setup, or the SMTP option is completed in settings, Moodle should send messages to whatever address is set in the email field of the user profile.
    That is assuming, you haven't turned off email messages in Moodle's settings.

Thank Post
    Messaging has been overhauled in Moodle 2 and individual users have the option of receiving messages either as messages or going to their emails. See Messaging settings - MoodleDocs If you want to allow or prohibit certain message types then edit them in Settings > Site administration > Plugins > Message outputs > Default message outputs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by InterwebsGuy View Post
    If your new server has SMTP setup, or the SMTP option is completed in settings, Moodle should send messages to whatever address is set in the email field of the user profile.
    That is assuming, you haven't turned off email messages in Moodle's settings.
    So if I configure the SMTP messaging in Site Admin > Plugins > Message outputs > Email, would all emails be sent to their recipients email address (student@domain.com)? Since it only accepts one set of credentials, have you then set up a dummy (noreply@domain.com) account to send emails from? If this is the case then this serves only as a notification system and doesn't allow for message conversations between student/teachers?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by atamakosi View Post
    So if I configure the SMTP messaging in Site Admin > Plugins > Message outputs > Email, would all emails be sent to their recipients email address (student@domain.com)? Since it only accepts one set of credentials, have you then set up a dummy (noreply@domain.com) account to send emails from? If this is the case then this serves only as a notification system and doesn't allow for message conversations between student/teachers?
    Yes, provided the Messaging options are setup to do that in Moodle (which IRC they are by default). Do as secretlife says and have a look at the Messaging options to verify they are set to send emails rather than pop-up messages etc.

That is correct regarding SMTP settings, if your SMTP server needs authentication fill it out with a dummy account username and password - such as a noreply account you may create. Our SMTP server doesn't need authentication, as it only works for a handful of hosts, so we just enter the smtp.domain.com address in there and off it goes.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread