+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, [Moodle] Self Enrolement into Classes in Technical; Hi Moodlers, We have just had our Moodle upgraded to 2.3.x. I like it but thought I'd look at some ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

[Moodle] Self Enrolement into Classes

Hi Moodlers,

We have just had our Moodle upgraded to 2.3.x. I like it but thought I'd look at some things I'd not thought of before. It is LEA controlled so I have no access to the backend - yet am a site administrator.

This year I have decided to introduce self marking quiz tasks and other self marking elements into Year 7. What I want is that when 200 Year 7 access the quiz and complete it they are stored in class order and not in one long list of 200. Would this be done using groups? I have never used groups but think it could help me organise marking better. I'm getting a bit tongue tied with what I want to achieve here.

Basically - how do schools with large year groups sort their Moodle access/marking so that they do not have masses of lists and do not have to create a copy of the course for each individual class.

Sense? To me it does.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Hi Gareth

If you has a single course that has 200 student enrolled and wanted to display a list of students based on classes in the grade book you would need to use groups.
    Creating these groups manually would be a very time consuming is you had lots of courses.

Schools are looking at MIS integration allow course/cohort/group memberships to be kept up to date automatically.

Schools can have anywhere between 10,000 and 20,000+ enrolments covering classes, years, houses and reg groups.

Thank Post
    Hi Gareth. Here is some documentation on using groups Grouping users - MoodleDocs Basically you have several choices if you haven't got or can't get an MIS set up
    * put your students in a csv file and use the field course1 , group1 , course2, group2 etc - where course1, course2 are the shortnames of the courses you want to put them in and group1, group2 are any sets you want to put them in. Moodle will make the groups automatically when you upload the csv file. Upload users - MoodleDocs
    *make empty groups in a course with a group enrolment key -give the classes their group enrolment key and get them to enrol themselves. See group enrolment key here Enrolment key - MoodleDocs
    *create cohorts - upload individual sets as cohorts. Then go to your course settings and auto-creategroups of the cohorts - See Cohorts - MoodleDocs and also Groups - MoodleDocs

To be honest, we use the first version - csv file- and it doesn't take that long. Our network manager gets the pupils in their sets off SIMS and adds the other fields and is ready to go. It works even if the pupils are already on the system.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

Thanks for this. I think the second one is best for me. Can you set a different enrollement key which puts them into different groups?

Gareth

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread