+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
vBCms Comments Thread, Article: Edugeek/Microsoft Webinar Reminder in ; Like others I didn't receive the email, spam filter checked...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,703 Posts
    Like others I didn't receive the email, spam filter checked

Thank Post
    Again, I'm another who didn't receive the e-mail

Thank Post
    No email either. Registered at lunchtime today. Tried again at 3pm. Nothing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yup. No email here either.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries
    AFAIK It's an automated system and they had 170 people registered by COP yesterday, so it may be that there is a limit to viewers.

Thank Post
    I registered two weeks ago and have never recieved an email

Thank Post
    Was a great webcast, can it be made available for download?

Thank Post
    I found it very interesting. Esp like the fact that we (britain) have the best IT in schools. Would be nice to see a downloadable version made available

Thank Post
    Esp like the fact that we (britain) have the best IT in schools.
    Not saying it's false but sez who? Based on what? And has it been formally verified by the Guinness World Records?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Not saying it's false but sez who? Based on what? And has it been formally verified by the Guinness World Records?
    The work that many countries have done on integrating technology into education has been based on research, case studies and real world implementations in UK schools. These countries range from US (who have now set up a group with a striking similarity of targets to those of Becta), Australia (who have been part of the INET program for many years, working with SSAT on many aspects of education, including the use of and innovation through technology), a variety of Middle East countries (you think it is a surprise that so many countries come over to London for conferences just before BETT?) and the list goes on ... Canada, Denmark, Norway, Germany, Ireland, Israel ....

I am not saying that every school is at that standard, but a lot of people don't know how lucky they are.Those who met Art on the EG stand at BETT in the first year can testify how a renowned educator and moodler was astounded by how the UK has so much technology in schools.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Actually I said we have the best IT equipped schools in the world, and we, in the UK do. The official ratio of pupils-to-computers is 5-1, ut according to Ray Fleming at Microsoft it is in fact closer to 3-1. The country with the next largest pupil to computer ratio is the US with 12-1. Its jst a shame the education secretary wants to stuff it up. In the UK we are in the best position globally to produce a generation that can not only support, but advance this increasingy IT centric world, but instead we are to regress to the kind of education system my parents had. What's the point of educating kids in the mid 20th century for them to have to live and work in the 21st century?

/rant off

12. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

BatchFile (27th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The last set of figures I can get to quickly (2009 Harnessing Technology Review) has the ratio as 6.6 in Primary and 4.2 in Secondary but that does not take into account handheld devices or games based devices, so it is closer to Ray's figures (he was talking about Secondary at the time).

We are likely to see those figures drop officially as schools will not be able to include student owned devices in there, but in some places, if you include student owned devices, you will start getting 2:1 ... or even better.

Thank Post
    What's the point of educating kids in the mid 20th century for them to have to live and work in the 21st century?
    Thing is, it was only last year that we had Current ICT and Computer Science in schools - damaging to UK’s future economic prospects (doubtless discussed here somewhere), bemoaning how profligate and usually adept use of IT, gadgets etc.. is not translating into kids studying computing, which is apparently necessary if you have ambitions to advance that IT centric world.

Thank Post
    The last set of figures
    I'm happy to accept ratios of 5:1 or higher because that's what I see. But there is a serious quantity vs. quality aspect.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thing is, it was only last year that we had Current ICT and Computer Science in schools - damaging to UK’s future economic prospects (doubtless discussed here somewhere), bemoaning how profligate and usually adept use of IT, gadgets etc.. is not translating into kids studying computing, which is apparently necessary if you have ambitions to advance that IT centric world.
    You might find the following video interesting as to why there is this disjointed view about technology is good/bad in education. The paper should be interesting when it is published.
    Learning Without Frontiers - Our Blog - Keri Facer, MMU, LWF Talk, London2011

17. 2 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

BatchFile (27th January 2011), PiqueABoo (27th January 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast