+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
vBCms Comments Thread, Article: BETT 2011 - Capita and Stone Computers Demo in ; You can view the page at http://www.edugeek.net/content.php?r...Computers-Demo...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,258 Times in 789 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: BETT 2010 - Capita and Stone Computers Demo

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nice to see Capita's Remote Registration come of age and look useable. We tried it a few years back when it was based on PDA's and to be honest it was awful and unuseable which result in it being ditched.

Might have to look at this in more detail again; shame we've got no money now!

Pete

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Really like the Groupcall Emerge demo.

If it had the medical details as well, then that would be a perfect product in effect and save me having to faff arround with exporting details using the CommandReporter in order to syncronise with the Blackberry we've just purchased for use on trips!

Thank Post
    Is that only available on Apple products or can it be used on any Tablet\Smartphone?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries

6. Thanks to localzuk from:

alan-d (17th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Only iDevices due to the added security of them being digitally signed by apple, and having two-factor authentication.

At the moment they don't trust the security of any other mobile device, because it will work offline, it could be prone to hacking at the stored data.

I will check about medical info, which is a good idea as it would be really useful. It is shown in the groupcall demo video (linked by localzuk) but i think that is for a generic MIS, this video was the actual SIMS version of the product.

The pricing for secondary schools was 299 for first unit, 99 for subsequent devices, and 2995 for a site licence. As i recall, quite a bit cheaper for Primary schools. Obviously, those prices are just for the app, and the initial cost is to get the server side software.

Just finding out about primary prices. I did ask in the demo and it included secondary pricing, but the quality was poor and we truncated it in the end.

8. Thanks to vikpaw from:

alan-d (17th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 799 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Only iDevices due to the added security of them being digitally signed by apple, and having two-factor authentication.

At the moment they don't trust the security of any other mobile device, because it will work offline, it could be prone to hacking at the stored data.
    LOL if I had realised that was the line they were taking I would have gone alone to beat down that stupid thought.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Primary pricing is 1995 site license, or 195 for the first device, and 99 for each subsequent one. Also, these are yearly costs, not a one off.

11. Thanks to localzuk from:

vikpaw (17th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Primary pricing is 1995 site license, or 195 for the first device, and 99 for each subsequent one. Also, these are yearly costs, not a one off.
    Haha, typical that. I can't see very many schools going for a site licence. I barely spoke to 5 people who have them in their schools. However quite a few SMTs have iPhones, and they might like to add to their prestige.

I did speak to many schools, who immediately can see this solving the problem of PE staff taking registers, so even if it's 299 + 4 staff = 695 p.a. That's not bad to solve the problem once and for all. At the moment our staff are not taking the registers or taking them on paper and entering on their return , etc. it's a pain. plus having info mobile like that is really useful.

If the medical info is added, i would want our medical team to have iphones, they could synchronise daily and carry around life-saving info.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Haha, typical that. I can't see very many schools going for a site licence. I barely spoke to 5 people who have them in their schools. However quite a few SMTs have iPhones, and they might like to add to their prestige.

I did speak to many schools, who immediately can see this solving the problem of PE staff taking registers, so even if it's 299 + 4 staff = 695 p.a. That's not bad to solve the problem once and for all. At the moment our staff are not taking the registers or taking them on paper and entering on their return , etc. it's a pain. plus having info mobile like that is really useful.

If the medical info is added, i would want our medical team to have iphones, they could synchronise daily and carry around life-saving info.
    We're thinking about it to be honest! Maybe going down the ipad route, as we want to move to electronic registers, and everyone would have to have the same device. So, a site of 32 staff (plus a couple of spares) would end up being 13k for iPads, plus 2k per year for the software.

Thank Post
    Interesting, i guess for a small site, that's pretty good. Our staff use the desktop that is in each classroom, though it's not actually that efficient.

We have so many more staff, and primary + secondary so it's a lot harder to justify, though using the ipads as a tablet to control the pc as part of a lesson could make it multifunction if that were possible.

I don't see why everyone 'has' to have the same device, it's easier if they do but not a necessity, or is it?

We can't even get our primary staff to do registers on the computers, though it's more a management decision rather than negativity on the ground.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't see why everyone 'has' to have the same device, it's easier if they do but not a necessity, or is it?.
    Politics.

Thank Post
    have been told available for serco cmis in 2 weeks

Thank Post
    Thanks for confirming the primary pricing.

Capita are also suggesting links to assessment in a future release. Hopefully teachers will be able to register a pupil, then tap the pupil name to see a summary the pupil's current level in each subject.

If some of the SIMS Discover stuff also makes it into the app, no self-respecting member of the senior leadership team will be without it ;-)

Thank Post
    Solves alot of problems for registering during PE and on school trips etc. Not bad pricing for individual devices.

As for the stone netbook with tablet - there were lots of this exact same device just rebranded on other stands, RM did it as did bt business direct and a few other suppliers , although from memory i think Stone may have been the cheapest.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast