+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
vBCms Comments Thread, Stripping down the RM Slate 100 in ; Oh, I forgot to add, it IS the Pegatron Masterpad (I'm 99% sure at any rate), but considering Pegatron are ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Stripping down the RM Slate 100

Oh, I forgot to add, it IS the Pegatron Masterpad (I'm 99% sure at any rate), but considering Pegatron are an OEM manufacturer this comes as no surprise and as far as I can gather RM are the only people selling them. Also there is an enormous amount of positive press about the Masterpad from demo units sent out to the online press in the summer.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 12th December 2010 at 01:16 AM.

Thank Post
    ur the man dos_box. we'll done. i ordered mine on Friday. looking forward to it getting here. In the other Slate thread, you mentioned that it did not have a BIOS. I'd imagine you've already had a go at this, but if not, have you tried plugging in a usb keyboard and molesting the usual function keys?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It does have a BIOS. What I could not find was any hardware links within it to a 3G modem, which I'm 99% sure it does not have even though a SIM card slot is present.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Article: Stripping down the RM Slate 100

Thank Post
    I was at the RM tech seminar the week before last and the 3G has been canned in this release as to keep pricing competitive. A solid piece of kit which has apparently recieved some interest in the far east. Thats not to say that the next release will have 3G included. I am trying to get our head interested in purchasing.

Thank Post
    OK, so my slate arrived just after 2pm today. Since Dos_Box was exceptionally kind enough to potentially sacrifice his slate and crack open it and show us the creamy gooiness inside, I thought I'd stand shoulder to shoulder with him, and go the stage further by having a peek at what is beyond the EM shield.

Before I continue, this RM Slate is an odd beast. The 3G connectivity, for me, would have been the ace in the hole for me. The O/S image even suggests that it is ready and should have the capability to go 3G...

registry.png
    Registry settings

software.png
    Software

And this is right outta the box.

So, without further a doo, here's whats behind the 'iron curtain'...

DSCF2621.JPG
    The board

DSCF2623.JPG
    The SSD (soz about teh fuzziness, the macro function was warming up )

DSCF2624.JPG
    The Broadcom Crystal HD Card (The BT card is adjacent the fan. dunno where the wlan card is!)

DSCF2626.JPG
    The empty Mini PCI-e(?) slot

DSCF2625.JPG
    The back side of the EM shield

So, a bit of a disappointment on teh 3G front, but I'm sure we can get a card for it somewhere, right?

*** No RM Slate's were *seriously* harmed in the making of this post.
    Last edited by jpaterson; 17th December 2010 at 06:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Oh, I forgot to add, it IS the Pegatron Masterpad (I'm 99% sure at any rate), but considering Pegatron are an OEM manufacturer this comes as no surprise and as far as I can gather RM are the only people selling them. Also there is an enormous amount of positive press about the Masterpad from demo units sent out to the online press in the summer.
    Looks like zoostorm are doing them too...

Zoostorm: PC Systems, Laptop Computers and Netbooks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    And have you seen how much they are selling them for?

Zoostorm SL8 Tablet PC - Misco.co.uk

That's over 50 per unit (inc VAT) more than RM! I don't think anyone can claim RM is profiteering here, which is nice to see.

528 vs 474

Thank Post
    Got a similar Slate last month, running Meego instead of W7 called the Wetab.
    Has anyone managed to backup the bios though? I got a message: Error: BIOS is write-protected (AFUDOS tool)
    Was planning to check if i could patch anything, but because of this i couldn't.

So, if you have any idea how to disable or circumvent this protection..

Or maybe an official bios and tool to flash?

I couldn't find a BIOS jumper on your pics and it's not a setting in the BIOS setup..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There is a lot of sheilding covering most of the board components which I have not yet removed. However, I do know that they are OEM devices and RM as yet have no repair options for the slates. If it breaks it needs the wole device replacing, and my guess is that the whole production including HD image and BIOS is done in the far east before it reached RM. However, as the device is going to be used by many OEMs worldwide it may be that there will be some custom tools either leaked or developed over time.

Thank Post
    Hi, was able to backup the BIOS by using the updated AFUDOS for Aption!
    Though, tools to edit it are unavailable as of yet (AMIBCP for Aptio, MMTool, DMIEdit, Change Logo, Ami Flashers), so i guess i have to wait.
    Also, i haven't found a single official bios flasher for anythe Pegatron based Slates (ExoPc, WeTab, RM Slate 100, etc)..
    An official BIOS and flasher would be best for editing, etc. So, if you or someone else has a copy: i'm interested!

Allegro16
    --
    WeTab Meego Slate

Bios Information:

BIOS Vendor: American Megatrends
    Core Version: 4.6.4.0
    Compliency: UEFI 2.0
    BIOS Version: Lucid-MWE-0125
    Build Date and Time: 09/03/2010 18.17
    EC Version: 000915

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    And have you seen how much they are selling them for?

Zoostorm SL8 Tablet PC - Misco.co.uk

That's over 50 per unit (inc VAT) more than RM! I don't think anyone can claim RM is profiteering here, which is nice to see.

528 vs 474
    But it does come with Windows 7 Professional! So i would imagine most of the 50 is made up of the licence!

Thank Post
    Some tweaks and observations...

## Problems with A2DP quality? (choppy output)
    The slate seems to have a combined BT/WLan card, driven in part by a unified driver. I have noticed that A2DP playback was choppy, so after much faffing, discovered that changing the "802.11 Bluetooth High Speed" setting to DISABLED, with improve audio quality on you BT Audio device. The setting can be found on the advanced tab of the WLAN NIC Properties sheet.

## Improve Touch response
    The laggy issues described earlier in the thread seem similar to a non-responsive system. since there's no hdd drive light to tell if there's activity, the only place to get info about current activity is the task mgr or perf monitor. these themselves can be resource intensive at times. nonetheless, i have found that the Windows Aero setvice can be intermittently demanding. Disabling Windows Aero themes via the Personalisation settings can help improve touch interface response.

More info as i figure it out folks.

14. Thanks to jpaterson from:

Dos_Box (3rd January 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi, I have just purchased the Zoostorm SL8 tablet which i presume is the same as this tablet as it pretty much opens up exactly the same. It has windows 7 installed on it and so far i am happy with the device.

My only issue seems to be the responsiveness of they touch screen which sometimes works absolutely fine and then fails to register touches etc which can be really annoying at time.

I have also managed to use my iphone as a wifi mouse which works very well lol.

I ran CPU-Z on the tablet and noticed that when i selected memory it shows 2 slots (the second slot being empty) and one slot having HYMP125S64CP8-S6 (serial number for memory) I have not fully opened the device but does this mean that there is indeed another slot free in the device to add another 2 gig?

I understand window 7 32 bit can see a maximum of 4 gig

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDynamo View Post
    My only issue seems to be the responsiveness of they touch screen which sometimes works absolutely fine and then fails to register touches etc which can be really annoying at time.
    You have a look at my post above?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast