+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
vBCms Comments Thread, Stripping down the RM Slate 100 in ; It looks like the same beast, which is actually a rebranded Pegatron Megapad. I have not seen a second RAM ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It looks like the same beast, which is actually a rebranded Pegatron Megapad. I have not seen a second RAM slot inside, however, due to time constraints with BETT and LWF I've not removed the compnent sheilding off large parts of the motherboard. Oh, and if you are to take a look inside, be very carful sliding the chassis apart as their are 2 delicate ribbon cables inside which require disconnecting before you seperate the 2 halfs. These control wireless\bluetooth and the touchscreen interface.
    As for responsiveness, I can't say I've encountered any issues, however I can't belive that ZooStorm sell them for 510 (Ebuyer) when RM sell them for 470 (inc VAT). However it does come with W7 Pro.

Thank Post
    I will try when i get home.

I am also going to attempt to install ubuntu 10.10 netbook edition and install 3rd party touch screen drivers on an SD Card when i get the opportunity. Already tested Ubuntu live to see compatability with devices on laptop and all seemed fine so fingers crossed i can get it dual booting.

I always end up trying to install OSX Snow Leopard on most machines i build, purchase so that should be interesting....

Thank Post
    Well the good news is that i successfully installed ubuntu 10.10 net edition on the slate with everything working - i.e.

wifi
    sd cards
    soundwebcam

and best of all the touchscreen! with minimal editing of the grub file. there is an on screen keyboard but it needs to be modified so that it shows at logon etc, but i read that they will be making a decent version of one soon.

if anyone wants instructions send me a pvt message

Thank Post
    oh, one last thing. I noticed that the touch responsiveness in Ubuntu is much better

5. Thanks to TheDynamo from:

jpaterson (11th January 2011)

Thank Post
    I'm using my Slate as fitness training computer with Windows 7. However, I quite fancy dual booting with Ubuntu. I'll give you a shout for some instructions, if you don't mind?

Thank Post
    Hi,

Managed to flash it a few times with the help of Pegatron and ExoPC.
    No problem.
    Last time i flashed though, something went wrong and now i don't get any image at boot.. (It DOES still boot, indicated by the power-button and the led on my usb flash drive.)
    They thought it would be possible to reflash, because it seems to access my usb stick.. But, even when forced, it doesn't. (I have a boot stick with recovery bios, etc)

All what's left is trying to RMA the WeTab (losing all my data, etc) or try to hot flash it using another Pegatron tablet..
    I DO have an ExoPC available, so i could try that.. As long as i know which chip on the PCB is the actual BIOS chip. I need to be 100% sure..

So, does anyone know? Maybe under the tape near the dock connector? Could be a BIOS chip..
    Or is it elsewhere located? Where?

Thanks,

Allegro16.

Thank Post
    Hi

First off thanks for the great post, it was just what i was looking for! I too am interested in the 3G connectivity as at presnt there is not a 3G version avalible in the UK!

I have two questions that i am hoping that some one may be able to answer:-

1. Are there any aerial connections at the spare Mini PCI-E slot? (I have a Dell 5530 card which i want to plug in)

2. On the non 3G models is the sim card reader present? (i know the slot is present but i don't know if the electronics for it are present)

Any help or more pictures would be great!

Thanks

Ranger2000

PS: One last thing has anyone tried a single 4Gb DDR2 module?
    Last edited by Ranger2000; 26th February 2011 at 03:37 PM.

Thank Post
    I would love to replace the SSD with something more than 32GB. Has anyone been successful wit this?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12