+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
vBCms Comments Thread, RM Slate 100 - Initial Review in ; You can view the page at http://www.edugeek.net/content.php?r...Initial-Review...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,048 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: RM Slate 100 - Initial Review

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Seeing those pictures of the screen in the article I have to stress that the image quality is far, far better than that shown there. For some reason the display looks all 'speckly' in the pictures. Let me assure you that is it not. It is bright vibrant and a joy to look at.

Thank Post
    Go on, install SIMS on it

Thank Post
    Does it have a hardware button to bring up the OSK?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I forgot to add, it has only one button. The power\standby switch. The OSK is a permanent on-screen shortcut that lives on the LHS of the screen (for some reason it's not visable in the pics I took). It can be 'flicked out when required, or, rather helpfully when you 'prod' on a text field a shortcut to the OSK appears.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 13th December 2010 at 01:32 PM.

Thank Post
    i've got an ACER 1825ptz which is a capacitive touchscreen laptop. I agree with you - Win 7 just isn't up to scratch compared to other OS's but like you say you get used to it. battery doesn't sound great tho with the latest laptop offerings from ACER (including mine) and others doing 8hrs+

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm probably going to sound a bit negative, and I don't mean to be, but a few points surprise me. I should also point out that I'm looking at slates as being carried around by the students, and taken home, rather than being in a classroom with a laptop trolley, which colours my judgement somewhat!

1, The 3-4 hour battery life - The iPad can last at least 10 hours watching full video before the battery becomes an issue. For the RM slate to be viable, surely it needs to last a school day (ie 6 hours)? Maybe its Windows 7 being power hungry rather than the hardware itself?

2, Fans - Not sure I like the idea of movable parts in a slate, but that could just be me. There again, the iPad tends to overheat if left in sunlight, so if it prevents that problem...

3, Windows 7 as a touch screen OS - How viable is it as an alternative to a laptop? Could you invisage writing coursework on it, or using it to do basic graphic work, or spreadsheets? One of the main flaws with the iPad is that its close, but not quite comfortable enough, to be used in a serious "office" way.

4, And finally, could you envisage rolling these out onto a network?

As I said, I don't want to be negative, I'm really looking for a viable slate that kids can use for everyday schooling, and if any company could pull that off, I think it could be RM.

But thank you for writing up the review though! Really useful to me

Thank Post
    Bro I might want to borrow this off you for a future gig to run my remote control mixing desk software on!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @Simsonj. Just address you points.

1. When I say I've got 3-4 hours, that has been hammering it, multi-tasking, constant browsing and software installs, and given that the battery is quite small it's not too bad at all. In fact. I've been using it occasionally, putting it on standby and using it again with the same charge over a 24 hour period. I will do time tests when I can, but it will have to wait ATM.

2. The fan is very quiet and none of the chassis gets hot when in use. Warm, yes, but not overly so.

3. It takes a little getting used to. The on-screen-keyboard take a little learning (in getting it to appear\hide when you want it too) and no haptic feedback leaves it feeling cold sometimes, however it is a full Windows 7 computer, and as long as the processor meets the software spec should run pretty much anything. I'm going to try Photoshop Elements 9 soon. My guess is that with a stylus, graphic work will be a doddle. If you want to get the best out of it then a bluetooth KB\mouse will be in order, but so far I've been doing fine with my fingers.

4. Yes. It will run W7 Pro\Ultimate etc. fine. There is no physical ethernet though, only wireless, so I'd ensure you have a USB CD\DVD drive and the appropriate imaging software for OS deployements.

All things said, it IS a good slate, but considering it is the first W7 slate with the level of hardware I'd expect to find to use it successfully, there are no other pieces of kit to compare it too. We shall have it on the stand at BETT for you all to have a good look at and running real world apps, not specially selcted pieces of software

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @Drummer_Boy. I'll pop around with it when I can to give you a play. Just as soon as I've got rid of the lurgy! You really don't want this for Christamas.

Thank Post
    Does it blend?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 842 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @Simsonj: one thing, I can tell you 100% that the ipad does not last 12 hours playing video non stop as I have never seen it last that long yet.

Thank Post
    Rather disappointed with the Slate, screen is terrible. It's that horrible high gloss that shows all the finger marks, and the touch part is poor.

Got SIMS on it, but SIMS really does need touch screen support before it useful - well for SIMS stuff anyway

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Got SIMS on it, but SIMS really does need touch screen support before it useful - well for SIMS stuff anyway
    It's on the way, starting with Discovery.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Rather disappointed with the Slate, screen is terrible. It's that horrible high gloss that shows all the finger marks, and the touch part is poor.

Have you adjusted the icon and text size yet? It was in my earlier report that it was hard to use with defualt settings and you had to make adjustments. As for the touch part. How do you mean? In what way poorer. Mine was very responsive and the image quality great. The 'high gloss' you refer to is simply the screen cover\casing itself, and it is widely accepted that any large screen tablet device would show up fingerprints, regardless of the tinting of the screen.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 14th December 2010 at 11:03 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast