+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
vBCms Comments Thread, RM Slate 100 - Initial Review in ; Originally Posted by Dos_Box Have you adjusted teh icon and text size yet? It was in my earlier report that ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Have you adjusted teh icon and text size yet? It was in my earlier report that it was hard to use with defualt settings and you had to make adjustments. As for the touch part. How do you mean? In what way poorer. Mine was very responsive and the image quality great. The 'high gloss' you refer to is simply the screen cover\casing itself, and it is widely accepted that any large screen tablet device would show up fingerprints, regardless of the tinting of the screen.
    Yup and it's still not great and then the screen space becomes a bit problem. I guess you could get a screen protector, but it's yet another thing to buy - assuming they exist. Having said that it's loads cheaper then a iPad.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for your replies @Dos_box and @ZeroHour. I fear imaging slates could be a royal pain, but I'm not closed to the idea if prices go down, and the money becomes available.

I wonder how similar the experience is to using an iPad with Remote Desktop software, which can definately be a bit fiddly. As regards to battery life, I charge my iPad once every three days, although I haven't really tried a stress test yet.

I'll see if I can find you at BETT to have a proper look

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @matt40k at £399 ex VAT, if it doesn't have 3G, surely that makes it the same price as an iPad, indeed more expensive than the 16gb model, and roughly on par with the 32gb non 3G models. If the slate does have 3G, then it will be cheaper than the iPad equivalent.

However, throw in the price of Office, Windows and CAL licencing if you're planning to network them and it would be interesting to see a price comparison after that. Mind you, with the new licensing announcement by Microsoft, maybe that wouldn't be so much of an issue.

I'm hoping that there will now be a drive for touch screen friendly, educational, apps for Windows 7 and Android, to make slates a true alternative to netbooks.

Thank Post
    are these jpeg's corrupted? I can see the top few rows but the rest display partially as grey pixels, like the jpeg has been corrupted?!? Tried CTRL+F5 and different browser

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonj View Post
    @matt40k at £399 ex VAT, if it doesn't have 3G, surely that makes it the same price as an iPad, indeed more expensive than the 16gb model, and roughly on par with the 32gb non 3G models. If the slate does have 3G, then it will be cheaper than the iPad equivalent.

However, throw in the price of Office, Windows and CAL licencing if you're planning to network them and it would be interesting to see a price comparison after that. Mind you, with the new licensing announcement by Microsoft, maybe that wouldn't be so much of an issue.

I'm hoping that there will now be a drive for touch screen friendly, educational, apps for Windows 7 and Android, to make slates a true alternative to netbooks.
    It's 32gb, so the iPad 32GB at £499 is more expensive. Desktop upgrade package is about £30 which includes an Windows Upgrade, Office, and a CAL (or it did last time I checked). You've then got the bonus that you can use Flash and all that stuff.

Plus I'd rather manage 125x Slates then 100x iPads

DosBox, did you see, sorry don't know how to describe it, the back of the tft, looks like a solar panel (think that's the best way I can describe it!). Also did the webcam work for you?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, the webcam was fine. There is a copper foil sheet on the back of the screen. I think it's to prevent heat from the motherboard going forwards.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alis_Klar View Post
    are these jpeg's corrupted? I can see the top few rows but the rest display partially as grey pixels, like the jpeg has been corrupted?!? Tried CTRL+F5 and different browser
    The pictures are fine. Try clearing your temporary internet files.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonj View Post
    I'll see if I can find you at BETT to have a proper look
    Were on stand G89 every day so do come and visit us

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @matt40k I'm not sure I would like to manage 125 slates. Just building them seems a complete pain without an ethernet connection, unless you can build an image using WDS and wireless? Otherwise building them one by one with a DVD would not be a fun task, not that the iPad would be a picnic either! Perhaps RM would be prepared to do the donkey work if you provided them with an image? Or at the very least, be made CC4 ready?

Just checking my maths though £399 + VAT (£468.83) + £30 for licences = £498, albeit with Office, so you'd need to add an extra £30 to the iPad (at least). I guess my point is that I don't think this slate is a much cheaper option, only an alternative. If I were to be pendantic, I would point out that you're likely to lose out on around 7-10gig of disk space on the slate just because of the Windows 7 footprint.However, I strongly suspect that students wouldn't use up much disk space, as files would be stored on a cloud, so the size of the hard drive becomes largely irrelevant.

Still, any Android tablets we can compare this to?

Thank Post
    I have to say that I can't agree with the review above. I had one on trial in January for an agreed month. I sent it back after 4 days. It's completely under powered being an Atom and all and constantly froze for upto 30 seconds every couple of minutes. Intially I thought that here was something cost affective in the classroom but at least with an iPad, it works out of the box. In fact we have an iPad2 arriving shortly from Western Digital which will be really interesting considering the app that's being produced by Capita.

What I'd really like to see is one of the new Android tablets. Cost and ability in one!

Thank Post
    hi I have just got one of these slates and there are a couple of things I'm struggling with. How do you get the camera to work? Do I need to download some software? Also I want to activate the SIM card slot with a mobile Sim card but it doesn't recognise it? Is this possible? Many thanks.
    Last edited by elemanager; 2nd April 2011 at 10:30 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The sim card slot is not actually connected to anything as there is no 3G Modem fitted I'm afraid. As for the camera, you can use Messenger and Skype, but if you want to just use it to capture a picture then there is nothing inbuilt that can currently do this and you'd have to download the software yourself.

Thank Post
    Hi,
    Thanks for the info. I do find it slightly annoying that they have put in a SIM card slot that is basically redundant. Skype works great by the way. Do you know any camera software that can be downloaded though? I have looked and the choice is confusing to say the least!

Thank Post

RM Slate webcam software

Hi did you get any help with what software to install on the RM Slate for the Webcam, we have acquired some and wish to use for photos for the pupils?

Thank Post
    Did you get any feed back on the Web Cam software?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast