+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
vBCms Comments Thread, Announcing the EduGeek Logon Tracker in ; Originally Posted by matt40k Just downloaded, looks very disappointing. Thank you for your pointless non constructive comment. Ben...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Just downloaded, looks very disappointing.
    Thank you for your pointless non constructive comment.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @sister_annex I doubt that will happen I'm not an ASP/.NET coder, and I believe that Windows & IIS should not be a requirement for the web side of it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    @sister_annex I doubt that will happen I'm not an ASP/.NET coder, and I believe that Windows & IIS should not be a requirement for the web side of it.
    Likewise linux/apache shouldnt be a requirement either for those without that both are true statements.

Thank Post
    Just downloaded, looks very disappointing.
    It's a free product and the source is under a free license. Make it less disappointing if it bothers you that much.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ZeroHour: My thoughts are that ASP/.NET needs IIS which only runs under Windows. Whereas PHP can run under Apache, Lighttpd, IIS, Nginx on Windows, Linux, BSD - any platform you choose. I'm all about choices.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ZeroHour: My thoughts are that ASP/.NET needs IIS which only runs under Windows. Whereas PHP can run under Apache, Lighttpd, IIS, Nginx on Windows, Linux, BSD - any platform you choose. I'm all about choices.
    Hmm to a point but to grab auth details you need ntlm to pass the username which is an iis feature unless you count on the script getting it right. Also tbh I would expect a lot of schools have a iis enabled server at some place in their network.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That's a fair point, but integrated auth isn't needed if you handle it using various other methods in the script. IIS may be available, but some people may not want to run it for performance, security or other reasons; or they may run Linux exclusively on the servers. They may already have IIS running their other sites and not want anything else to interfere with them and vice-versa.

The way I look at it (and most things which is for other people too) is - if there's more than one way of doing it, why do it the way that forces users down one particular route if it can be helped?

I'm sure the EduGeek LogonTracker is a very nice piece of software...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Thank you for your pointless non constructive comment.

Ben
    Well it is, Webman posted a lot better one. One that doesn't have an admin logon in a vbscript!

9. Thanks to matt40k from:

webman (9th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well it is, Webman posted a lot better one. One that doesn't have an admin logon in a vbscript!
    It does not require it as such, its only for the single logon part that this is required..... admittedly there is not a simple off mode but the next version will have that. Its a beta... sometimes I wonder why we bother at all...

Webman: choice is brilliant, for those who dont want to frig with apache/mysql/php etc they can simply use ours.... everyone to there own as they say. IIS is not that bad also, v7 is very good actually.

To clarify, the code it not actually code I made but I am now thinking of back porting it to php (pretty easy) and we have plans to get around the admin details. Certainly dont write it off at beta stage.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 9th June 2010 at 01:15 PM.

Thank Post
    I do prefer the layout of webmans and i think a brilliant hybrid of the two could be created if your ideas on it were combined and a couple more features implemented, not that i don't like this one by any means, but i don't think i would make use of it until i can choose wether to lock people to a single logon or not and the security conerns are sorted. Only thing im curious about, is if you leave this running for months on end, does the database have a time limit on how long information is stored? could end up with a huge database if it ever got forgotten about and left running for years.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks mrbios. What things would you like to see in your hybrid vision? I could look at implementing those into version 2 if they'd be beneficial.

ZeroHour: that's the great thing about choice For some people "frigging with apache/php/mysql" (sudo tasksel lamp-server) will be easier than faffing around with IIS and MSSQL; and for some obviously it's the opposite. And yes, absolutely - there have been some great improvements in IIS7, especially with PHP performance.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks mrbios. What things would you like to see in your hybrid vision? I could look at implementing those into version 2 if they'd be beneficial.
    So now we are on a features race....
    It would be sensible to have a merge in a way which supports all types of install as I do see me adding a php interface and its not too bad to support mysql. I myself made a logon track using php/mysql which we have used here for 3 years now so I have a lot of the needed code/ideas as such.

BTW there is a forum for edugeek logon tracker now under projects.

Thank Post
    MSSQL and IIS support is a must for me personally - though i agree that support across the board is a very good feature to have.

The main issue i had with yours webman was after prolonged use i had to wipe the database and start again as it seemed to get slower and slower to load over time, so automatic refreshing of the database per day/week/month or something would be good (whichever seems suitable, maybe the ability to choose?) or even have the ability to archieve the data somewhere? - obviously i may get the same problem with zerohours but ive not used it much yet

I think a feature to enable and disable locking single logons would be the most needed feature i could think of. Rattling my brain trying to think of more now

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The reason for that is because there is no pagination on the listing pages (so it loads all data in the DB for whatever aspect you wanted to load) - this will change in v2

Thank Post
    I'm glad my little comment sparked all this off,

AND... I would never right off of a piece of software no matter what it was whiclst it was in beta

I look forward to seeing the ideas come together in the future

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information