+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
vBCms Comments Thread, Shiny new ranks are live in ; Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey and more worryingly, rep is decided by the community at large, whereas badge rank is decided ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,788 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    and more worryingly, rep is decided by the community at large, whereas badge rank is decided by mods/admins alone.
    I don't see that as an issue at all. It is DB's site, so he can determine things how he wants.

Regarding the supporter badge - I feel it should reflect those who have supported the site in some way other than posting. So time, funds, equipment etc... With that being at any time, not just those of us who donated money at some point. Changing it more radically than that kinda devalues it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I don't see that as an issue at all. It is DB's site, so he can determine things how he wants.
    Some people work very hard for a good reputation (and vice versa) and they deserve to have it reflected. Admins themselves have said they don't have time to review every post, so the two concerns I have are:
    - recognising good and poor posts and showing some indicator of them, for everyone to see;
    - having a more granular system than just a few badges, which show very blocky statuses;
    - insulating reputation against favouritism and, hypothetically, corruption.

The present rep system addresses these concerns very effectively.

edit: that's three concerns, I acknowledge
    Last edited by powdarrmonkey; 10th May 2010 at 01:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Some people work very hard for a good reputation (and vice versa) and they deserve to have it reflected. Admins themselves have said they don't have time to review every post, so the two concerns I have are:
    - recognising good and poor posts and showing some indicator of them, for everyone to see;
    - having a more granular system than just a few badges, which show very blocky statuses;
    - insulating reputation against favouritism and, hypothetically, corruption.

The present rep system addresses these concerns very effectively.

edit: that's three concerns, I acknowledge
    Yes, which is why the banners should not be linked to rep at all. Status' should be purely based on DB determined roles - Admin, God, Mod, Projects etc... and the supporter badge for those that help out but aren't in one of the blocks that have their own badge.

Rep should stay as rep.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Yes, which is why the banners should not be linked to rep at all. Status' should be purely based on DB determined roles - Admin, God, Mod, Projects etc... and the supporter badge for those that help out but aren't in one of the blocks that have their own badge.

Rep should stay as rep.
    wasn't that my point?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For me, supporters are the people who have done something different or extra. It may have been cash, it may have been time on the Wiki, it may have been time on the stand at BETT or helping to get things set up at conferences, it could be people running projects, etc. The old badges of EduBett, etc have gone but generically they are supporters in my book. It could be that DB, the Admins and the Mods award them on who they think has gone above and beyond (outside of Rep ... because Rep does what it says on the tin) or they could offer 3 awards for it every 6 months and people can make nominations for it.

Some other places I frequent do monthly awards, some use it to identify those with extra privileges (increased PM / inbox, special email addresses, access to beta sections, etc) and some are based on completing certain task (your mission today ....)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My response was based on your comments about rep - thinking you didn't like that the badges were determined by the admins/boss rather than by the community.

The rest was more general comments aimed at the others who want to link badges to standing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,496 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    For me, supporters are the people who have done something different or extra. It may have been cash, it may have been time on the Wiki, it may have been time on the stand at BETT or helping to get things set up at conferences, it could be people running projects, etc. The old badges of EduBett, etc have gone but generically they are supporters in my book. It could be that DB, the Admins and the Mods award them on who they think has gone above and beyond (outside of Rep ... because Rep does what it says on the tin) or they could offer 3 awards for it every 6 months and people can make nominations for it.

Some other places I frequent do monthly awards, some use it to identify those with extra privileges (increased PM / inbox, special email addresses, access to beta sections, etc) and some are based on completing certain task (your mission today ....)
    Fair enough. I hadn't thought of it like that

Thank Post
    Yay! More elitism and cliques!

Thank Post
    I'm split on this, if you have "ranks" then accept it on a site or don't use it, but I do feel if you have "ranks" then it does cause friction. They are good to have say Edugeek Staff, Supplier and Member, you then know where peple are coming from.

Regarding the images they're nice graphics though and do fit in well. Good job!

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I've got the Supporter badge, but TBH if you're not careful you're making it do the same thing as rep.
    Now there's a thought - the more rep you get, the more stripes on your badge, or stars, like in McDonalds...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    Now there's a thought - the more rep you get, the more stripes on your badge, or stars, like in McDonalds...
    To a maximum amount of stripes otherwise geoff's badge would just be a multitude of coloured stripes and you wouldn't see his name unless the stripes represented binary or something lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    Hmm something that visually increases as your rep goes up...something like a 'reputation bar'...
    Wait a minute...

13. Thanks to sparkeh from:

SYSMAN_MK (10th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Now.. i just need to be able to click the "SmoothWall" bit, and get a list of all my colleagues: nile_c, robf, robot, ipballe, daniel_barron, gav, datalas... who else... I think claire & sean are on here, but don't know their usernames... and the MD is on, but he's lurking (hi George!).
    ahem, SueAinley ...???

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    ahem, SueAinley ...???
    Oops! I forgot about poor ol' Sue! She never posts anyway, the social-networking-phobic numpty

Thank Post
    I don't like the "God" badge. I suggest that the label be made more compatible with the beliefs of those who follow a monotheistic faith eg. Christianity, Islam, Judaism

Something like "Superhuman" would be better I think. Or maybe an edugeek knighthood/peerage, "Earl" or "Lord".

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast