+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
vBCms Comments Thread, EduGeek in the TES With Your Comments. in ; You can view the page at http://www.edugeek.net/content.php?r...your-comments....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: EduGeek in the TES With Your Comments.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A major inquiry?would that be aimed at the schools or the companies? Most of us here strive for the best deals we can get! It isn't our fault if some companies *try* to fleece us!

However that is a well written article, and you are right, it does just scratch the surface!

Thank Post
    There's a problem? Quick, let's have an enquiry, preferably a very expensive one, that'll fix it for sure..
    ::screams::

I guess this is the full NAHT report: NAHT IT SURVEY REPORT. I found some of the quotes in there umm.. 'interesting'

Thank Post
    I thought schools went through strict auditing... I know we do, any large expenditure must go through 3 or more suppliers, in my case anything over £3K.

Even with an outsourced IT provider should a school be allowing sole suppliership of goods?

Thank Post
    There's nothing wrong with a single supplier, as long as the audit trail is there, to show that the school's procurement procedure has been followed and that best value is the result.

Thank Post
    Audit trail would ask for more than one quote to find the best quote? Do you mean if the outsourced IT get 3 quotes... or do you mean using one reseller is OK?

Thank Post
    I meant as long as three quotes were obtained. Don't know about outsourced IT as most of mine are in-house procurement.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have a dedicated section in my inbox for quotes, with subsections relating to what is needed. EG I asked Simon and 2 other companies for quotes on a server NIC, I received said quotes and they went into a folder labeled "server NIC - date required DDMMMYYYY" an that's how it is for ALL of my quotes. In the past we hae been audited a few times and this system has saved time for myself and auditors alike.

There should be a review of the system, and if schools have a need, there should be a nationally set guideline price at which 3 quotes are required (for us anything over £3000) and where 5 quotes are needed (anything over £25000 for us). That would be better IMHO. Also an audit of the whole school every 3-5 year wouldn't be bad as it ensures people are sticking to guidelines.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Our system is 3 quotes for every purchase. Its a lot of work, but it saves us massive amounts of money. The 3 quotes get stapled to the order form, and notes made on the one we choose saying why (as it isn't always the cheapest supplier). Seems to do us well. I know some schools who just use the same supplier for everything and as such get fleeced on pricing. That is the practice that needs to stop.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    A major inquiry?would that be aimed at the schools or the companies? Most of us here strive for the best deals we can get! It isn't our fault if some companies *try* to fleece us!

However that is a well written article, and you are right, it does just scratch the surface!
    an enquiry ?

Nah. we're a week before a general election, an emergency budget 60 days from now and then a
    3-year comprehensive spending review with education spending not being one of the sacred cows... might actually focus minds.

Not to mention a little thing called BSF which as it lumbers along is turning the whole IT procurement thing on it's head anyway... What was that someone said about best value and schools buying kit using the same company. LOL.

11. Thanks to torledo from:

SimpleSi (2nd May 2010)

Thank Post
    The difficulty with the several posts above is we're largely talking Primary and not just about standard-issue paper-clips i.e. it's not necessarily easy to decide on what will be "best value" for money if every quote proposes a different solution.

But even so that obvious kind of approach clearly doesn't happen sometimes and on blunt reflection I think the real story here may be that apparent supply and demand problem re. decent heads: I can think of several heads who are largely IT-illiterate, but they're intellectually sharp, inherently reasonable-to-good managers and are perfectly capable of shopping around, asking other schools, LAs etc., before they part with significant amounts of money. I suspect the schools we're worrying about here probably have the Peter Principle heads i.e. ones they had to settle for who are out of their depth. [Wish I could get a job I was not very good at on that kind of salary and then have people bending over backwards to help me do that job.]

So what's stopping the sharp folk from becoming heads?
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 2nd May 2010 at 09:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps a book on ICT for heads\bosses should be created? In it should be outlined:

What things are
    What they do
    What they look like
    What they cost
    What support costs and does for you, both on site and contract
    Illustrations and pictures of everything
    And rough price guides (to be amended yearly)

This actually is not as big a job as it sounds. We can releas this as a booklet or each subject area as a downloadable PDF. For instance, we can have a section on netbooks covering:

What they do, or do not do (hardware, OS wise)
    What they are suitable for compared to laptops
    What they hype will say compared to what they will actually be used for
    Rough prices and warranty info

This can also be done for laptops, desktps and servers etc. We can also do sections on wireless, LAN and other netwrokign technologies, all done in a Dummies type format, and intended fro heads to be able to refer to it and get a quick overview fo the issue in hand, for instance if a network manager is screamign for a new server becasue the old one is about to die, the server document will outline just how important servers are, and really emphesise the point.
    Is this a good idea?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    sounds good to me DB, however the sheer amount of hardware available would not make it too feasible?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We don't have to show make\model etc, just cover the basics as to what does what and what you would expect (roughly) to pay for low\mid\high producst in that catagory.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sounds Good to me also to be honest, as we have pointed out alot of the issues that were raised were mainly Primary Schools although some Secondary Schools have also been targeted the higher pecentage is with primary. Just pointing out what is genuine, the truths and what peole actual need in schools and what hardware they need to run the common software applications etc i think will be fine. amongest us we know what applications are used within schools so should be able to easily inform people at what specifications they should be asking for with maybe a rough cost and we could even point them to company sponsors of edugeek whom we know do not do any of the above which was pointed out in the article.

J

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast