+ Post New Thread
US General Chat Thread, The Reality of Teaching in a Small School in the Bronx in United States (US) Specific Forums; An Urban Teacher's Education: Could You Make My Job More Difficult?...
    Thank Post

The Reality of Teaching in a Small School in the Bronx

Thank Post
    Teaching is no different to alot of other jobs then...

A lot of workplaces dont allow you to just up and go to the toilet.
    A lot of workplaces will blame you if things go missing when you are supposed to be looking after them.
    A lot of workplaces are noisy.
    A lot of workplaces require you to leave your area tidy at the end of the day.
    A lot of workplaces require you to get your overtime signed off.
    And a lot of workplaces pay you a hell of a lot less for putting up with the same stuff.

*Cue the flaming*
    Last edited by witch; 13th February 2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: sorry but since when has a lot been one word???

Thank Post
    Yes but in most other workplaces the product does not have such a drastic impact on people's lives.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    sounds a lot like my current place!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Teaching is no different to alot of other jobs then...
    Teaching is supposed to be some kind of profession, not a call centre type of job where you might have to get permission to go to the toilet (and the writer doesn't appear to want to go to the loo during a lesson; just for it to be easier to do during lesson changeover.

I don't suppose he would mind being blamed if he lost <whatever> but when you're responsible for 20-30 people it's pretty much impossible to know what each of them is doing all the time. Sure, you can do things like checking at the end of the lesson to see if (say) all the mice are still there but then what do you do when you find one's missing? Dealing with that kind of thing makes life an awful lot harder than it is for the office worker who needs to make sure they don't lose the mouse off their desktop PC.

Tidying up my desk is easy and I would expect to have to do it; making sure that 20-30 other people get their desk tidy is possible but again adds extra workload.

Getting overtime signed off is probably universal - it's the blocks put in the way of doing it that the writer is complaining about. Why can't it be an online system? Why does he actually have to go in person to see someone who's not there at a convenient time?

I don't know what a public school teacher gets paid in NY; I have an idea that it's rather less than in the UK but that's not really important. What is important is that this is not a particularly pleasant working environment and it could be better; so could the jobs of the people being paid less.

I'm afraid that you and many others have got into the mindset that whenever you see someone that you think is better off than you are you don't say "How can my job be changed so it's as good as theirs is" but rather "How can I drag their job down so that it's as bad as mine" and I think that's one of the things which is wrong with our society today. (I'd guess we could call it Broken Britain although I think that term may have been used elsewhere!)

6. Thanks to srochford from:

jcollings (13th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Cant wait till monday so that I can screw over some teachers and bring them down to my level of the great unwashed

Teaching is supposed to be some kind of profession, not a call centre type of job where you might have to get permission to go to the toilet (and the writer doesn't appear to want to go to the loo during a lesson; just for it to be easier to do during lesson changeover.
    I struggle to see your point here. Are teachers somehow more worthy of being allowed to goto the toilet then the rest of us mere mortals? Besdies, how is this any different to what most schools expect of the kids?

I don't suppose he would mind being blamed if he lost <whatever> but when you're responsible for 20-30 people it's pretty much impossible to know what each of them is doing all the time. Sure, you can do things like checking at the end of the lesson to see if (say) all the mice are still there but then what do you do when you find one's missing? Dealing with that kind of thing makes life an awful lot harder than it is for the office worker who needs to make sure they don't lose the mouse off their desktop PC.
    Tidying up my desk is easy and I would expect to have to do it; making sure that 20-30 other people get their desk tidy is possible but again adds extra workload.
    But thats what he signed up for when he decided to be a teacher. If you dont like the reponsibilities of babysitting children then why choose it?

Getting overtime signed off is probably universal - it's the blocks put in the way of doing it that the writer is complaining about. Why can't it be an online system? Why does he actually have to go in person to see someone who's not there at a convenient time?
    Why cant all systems be online? I have to go through several people in my own time to get my overtime handed in, along with most over people Id bet. If that makes it into his top 5 moans about his job Id say hes doing alright.

What is important is that this is not a particularly pleasant working environment and it could be better; so could the jobs of the people being paid less.
    Maybe it is, maybe it isnt, its all subjective. Personally Id say the benifits go a long way to offsetting the unpleasantness of his career.

I'm afraid that you and many others have got into the mindset that whenever you see someone that you think is better off than you are you don't say "How can my job be changed so it's as good as theirs is" but rather "How can I drag their job down so that it's as bad as mine" and I think that's one of the things which is wrong with our society today. (I'd guess we could call it Broken Britain although I think that term may have been used elsewhere!)
    Who said I have a bad job and that Im envious of teachers? I, unlike many of of these godly beings, actually have real life experiance. I have had bad jobs and I have had good jobs. Having a frame of reference to base judgement doesnt somehow make me envious of what you portray as a higher class of career.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 13th February 2011 at 08:59 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread