Trapper (18th November 2009)
I understand that there are posts similar to this one open already, but none answer what my questions is.
This is my scenario,
I need to install the newest version of Google Earth (Free Version) on several student computers. I tried developing a MSI package using WinInstall LE, but no luck. I've deployed other programs through AD as a GPO, but usually the MSI packages are already built for me. Anyone know where I could find a MSI package for the latest version of Google Earth? If not, a good free program to create MSI packages? Thanks very much in advance.
Trapper (18th November 2009)
- Go to Google Earth - Advanced setup
- Pick your version
- Untick 'Allow Google Earth to automatically install recommended updates.' (Optional, but recommended IMO)
- Click 'Agree and Download' and save the .exe file that you are offered.
- Extract the contents of the .exe using 7-Zip (other package extractors probably do it but I always use this one
- The MSI is in the extracted files, ready to deploy.
I will try your solution using 7-Zip. Thank you! I will reply again once I have tested to see how it worked out.
dwhyte85 (10th November 2009)
First. Thank You! for your quick reply. I tried your suggested solution for two programs that I need to deploy, Google Earth 5.0 and Google Sketch-up. Your solution worked flawlessly for Sketch-up, but not for Google.
The error I am getting is when selecting the package under the group policy object and it states,
'Add operation failed. Unable to extract deployment information from the package. Run validation on the package to ensure that the package is correct.'
Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
joe90bass (13th April 2010)
This part is lifted from:
(replace the ] with /)
(I can't post URLs)
To deploy the .msi package using Group Policy, a minor modification is needed. If you attempt to deploy the original .msi, you may receive the error message "Unable to extract deployment information from the package. Run validation on the package to ensure that the package is correct."
This appears to be because of erroneous data in the Languages field in the .msi Summary Information. I had to open the .msi in Orca, go to the "View" > "Summary Information menu", and edit the Languages field so that it only contained 1033 (the language ID for US English). Only then would it successfully deploy.
Alternatively, I use:
msiexec /i "Google Earth.msi" TRANSFORMS="1033.mst" - don't know if that's applicable to GPO (we don't use that).
Thank You so very very much! Your strategy worked! I was able to add the package to the GPO and deploy it successfully. Thank You again! and thanks to everyone who replied to this post with your suggestions!
If anyone still having problem with this, you can find full instructions here:
(Replace [ with /)
Here's what I did to deploy the latest version:
Download the latest version of Google Earth from Here: dl.google.com/earth/client/advanced/current/googleearthwin.exe
Open the Exe with 7-zip and extract the following files and folders:
Edit google earth.msi with orca
(I made the following changes, so it would be installed for All Users, suppress the Google toolbar, won't launch after install and auto-accept the EULA.)
Transform -> new transform
Select Property from the sidebar, add a row titled ALLUSERS with a value of 1
generate & save the transform
Transform -> close transform
view -> summary information
Delete everything except for 1033 in the Languages field (1033 is english)
save and exit
then push the MSI & MST using your weapon of choice.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)