+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
US General Chat Thread, New US Edugeek Users - Introduce yourself here :) in United States (US) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by TheITCrowd Hi, I work for school district in PA doing help desk. Gareth, I've always wanted to ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheITCrowd View Post
    Hi,

I work for school district in PA doing help desk.

Gareth, I've always wanted to work in the UK, doing IT :-)
    Fancy a job swap? LOL.

GJE

Thank Post
    Hello, Max here from St. Louis MO checking in.

Currently a Computer Services Tech on a campus of a 4 campus Community College District. Came to this job after being a Computer Operator for several years with the same district at our administration site. Was a reallocated resource due to some staff restructuring but it was a direction I was wanting to go. Something I have always said is that I have worked on everything from the mainframe to the desktop. Always looking to expand my knowledge on those systems and any that I might not have touched.

Max...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hi Max, and welcome

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    Fancy a job swap? LOL.

GJE
    I'm seriously thinking about it haha, or we at least could do rotations or "exchange a tech program" :-)

Thank Post
    if you come to philly area, I'll take you guys around my school district and we can go get the world famous philly cheesesteaks. My goodness, just taking about one makes me want to get one right now from south philly

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nar Gareth if go over then you have to live with shame of having to become a Philly fan

Must admit if won lottery I would like to fo a 'fact finding mission' in usa as to say.

Russ

Thank Post
    Hello,
    I'm glad I found this place, so I'm not the only one who has to deal with the k-12 lack of funding computer environment!

I've been with an 11,000 student 1,400 teacher school district in Iowa since 2005.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Welcome and just out of interest, how many computers does your district have and how many staff do you work with to support them? I know it varies from district to district but it's always nice to get current figures.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Welcome and just out of interest, how many computers does your district have and how many staff do you work with to support them? I know it varies from district to district but it's always nice to get current figures.
    Currently we hover around 5,000 computers and devices in 21 buildings (19 schools) throughout the city. I do the majority of the schools (10) and I'm the webmaster. Then there are 4 other staff that roam about the rest of the school district. We are JUST moving from an NT auth network environment to AD w2k3. We contracted Dell to do the migration over to AD and to upgrade our servers. We also purchased the KACE system so that will be implemented this summer. Also, we signed an agreement last month also with Dell for a 950 laptop leasing deal. This agreement will allow us to hire an additional person, although the RFP for the lease states that we don't need to fix any hardware issues as a department. We can just send them in and we'll get a replacement. We all know how that goes. My guess is we'll end up working on them.

Our department is broken down into this:

1 Director of Tech
    1 Network Admin
    1 Asst. Network Admin
    1 Phones/AS400 person
    3 SIMS/Powerschool people
    1 Helpdesk phone position
    1 Lead PC Support position
    4 PC Support Pos (soon to be 5 July 1st)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We are JUST moving from an NT auth network environment to AD w2k3
    I have to be frank here, but that is shocking!! Mainstream support for Server 2k3 ended last summer, however, if it is the only upgrade path you have from NT then I suppose it will make a good stepping stone to 2008. I think I was more shocked by the use of NT more than anything. Saying that, we do have a couple of Win 98 fans lurking around here

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I have to be frank here, but that is shocking!! Mainstream support for Server 2k3 ended last summer, however, if it is the only upgrade path you have from NT then I suppose it will make a good stepping stone to 2008. I think I was more shocked by the use of NT more than anything. Saying that, we do have a couple of Win 98 fans lurking around here
    We no longer used any NT computers as of last school year, but for whatever reason the Network admins stuck with the NT domain authentication throughout the years. Don't ask me why, that's not my department. Forever we had a sup. that didn't want to stick money into technology. We got a new sup. two years ago and she's put an emphasis on 21st century learning and upgrading technology. So we are trying to play the catchup game from 10 years behind.

edit: I'm not sure the reasoning behind moving to 2k3 over 2k8.
    Last edited by iadubber; 5th May 2011 at 02:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's a shame that in many areas, even here in the UK, there is in some areas a lack of understanding of the importance in IT in not only learning but the lives that the pupils themselves lead. When you have kids using technology several generations on from that of the schools then you know its time to upgrade!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 1,190 Posts
    comrades

Quote Originally Posted by iadubber View Post
    Currently we hover around 5,000 computers and devices in 21 buildings (19 schools) throughout the city. I do the majority of the schools (10) and I'm the webmaster. Then there are 4 other staff that roam about the rest of the school district. We are JUST moving from an NT auth network environment to AD w2k3. We contracted Dell to do the migration over to AD and to upgrade our servers. We also purchased the KACE system so that will be implemented this summer. Also, we signed an agreement last month also with Dell for a 950 laptop leasing deal. This agreement will allow us to hire an additional person, although the RFP for the lease states that we don't need to fix any hardware issues as a department. We can just send them in and we'll get a replacement. We all know how that goes. My guess is we'll end up working on them.

Our department is broken down into this:

1 Director of Tech
    1 Network Admin
    1 Asst. Network Admin
    1 Phones/AS400 person
    3 SIMS/Powerschool people
    1 Helpdesk phone position
    1 Lead PC Support position
    4 PC Support Pos (soon to be 5 July 1st)
    That's an impressive array of support, still less than one per school though! Where are you in the hierarchy?
    Impressed to see SIMS, though i reckon it's a generic MIS, not the actual SIMS(TM) that we know and love - Any info you can post in the US MIS forum would be useful.

See you around

Thank Post
    Hi .... George here, IT Project Manager in Greater Boston. (Financial Services)...SCCM Win7 deployment for laptops is my current challenge.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,693 Posts
    Hello and welcome to edugeek!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast