Fat v. thin v. multi-seat client showdown
Right: we have a sixthform building with 10 shared study rooms for sixthformers. Each room currently has an ageing Dell Dimension 2400 in - decent, reliable enough machines, but starting to seem a bit slow and also now have rather too small harddrives to fit our full set of installable software. We'll be getting a lot more sixthformers next year, so we need to sort out our workstation provision - the head of sixth form is aiming for 3 workstations per room.
The options I can think of are:
- Upgrade the harddrives of the current machines (£50 each, so £500) and buy some laptops/netbooks for general use (£400? X 20 = £8000) plus some sort of charging cabinet (er, £1000?) and a decent wireless access point (a stand-alone Ruckus 7363 - £500?). £10,000.
- Buy 30 all-new Windows 7 Acer R3610 mini all-in-ones (£300) and screens (£100). £12,000.
- Buy 30 new thin client devices of some kind (£???), with screens (£100). Handily, the nice people at Axel Technologies are sending me a free M75 all of my very own to play with, although they recommend their M80 as their current model. Anyone used the M80, can recommend it, or tell me how much one is?
A thin client solution, of course, is going to need a server - I discussed a Dell T610 with 24GB of RAM in a previous thread which would seem to be perfect for 30-odd users. £2,000. We would also need 30 server CALs and 30 TS CALs - anyone any idea how much? In total, £5,000 to start plus a cost (including CALs) for each device * 30.
- Buy some second-hand all-in-one workstations to use as thin clients. We got some old all-in-one RMs for £30 each the other year, I don't suppose anyone's having a classroom refurbishment this year, are they?...
- Buy 10 decent desktop machines with twin dual-head graphics cards (£500?), a copy of Windows Multipoint Server 2010 (£??? - anyone know?) and appropriate CALs (£???). If we bought new screens at £100 each, I'm guessing that's around £1,000 per PC, so £10,000 for the lot.
Does the above seem about right? Anyone any thoughts?