Xen Server 5.5 BETA released
Citrix have just announced a new version of their free Xen Server, version 5.5
The bullet points:
* Consolidated Backup allows third-party backup vendors to interface directly with XenServer to provide full and incremental, in-guest, file and image backups of virtual machines. The new consolidated backup capabilities in XenServer also provide customers with the ability to execute full GUI-based snapshots directly from the XenCenter central management console.
* Enhanced Conversion Tools make it easy to convert virtual machines created in the VMDK format (commonly used by VMware) into the VHD format (commonly used by Citrix XenServer and Microsoft Hyper-V). The new XenConvert tools also make it easy to seamlessly convert between any of the common open virtualization format packages, including OVF (open virtualization format), OVA (open virtual appliance) and XVA (XenServer virtual appliance).
* Enhanced Search enables customers to view and manage XenServer environments by a range of criteria including VM name, resource pool, location, server, storage repository, snapshot time, and network name – all from a single location. It also provides the ability to create custom views or folders.
* Active Directory Integration makes it easy for customers to use their AD credentials to mange XenServer hosts as well as log and audit user activity.
* Expanded Guest Support adds SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11, Debian 5.0 and RedHat/CentOS/Oracle 5.3 to a growing list of supported guests that includes virtually every version of the Windows and Linux operating systems.
The beta, as well as a 30-day trial version of Citrix Essentials, is available at Citrix Systems » Citrix XenServer: Efficient Virtual Server Software. The beta version of the new Citrix XenServer 5.5 is also available today and can be downloaded free of charge from Citrix Systems » Products » -- XenServer/Essentials » XenServer. The 5.5 version of both product lines will be generally available June 19.
Linky: Citrix Systems » Citrix Upgrades Server Virtualization Product Lines for XenServer and Hyper-V