VMware Player to create virtual machine for WIM deployment

Printable View

Getting somewhere but stuck again!

Windows Explorer and DOS command prompts under the host can see the mapped drive OK.

However when I open the "Deployment Tools Command Prompt" I cannot get the drive to open...

:(
  • 25th February 2013, 05:30 PM
    Arthur
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kennysarmy View Post
    when I open the "Deployment Tools Command Prompt" I cannot get the drive to open...

IIRC, you need to create the registry value below (and reboot) to be able to connect to a drive which wasn't mapped via an elevated Command Prompt (as explained in KB937624).

Code:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    "EnableLinkedConnections"=dword:00000001

• 26th February 2013, 11:24 AM
    kennysarmy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    IIRC, you need to create the registry value below (and reboot) to be able to connect to a drive which wasn't mapped via an elevated Command Prompt (as explained in KB937624).

Code:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    "EnableLinkedConnections"=dword:00000001

Thanks, but that registry was already set....
  • 26th February 2013, 02:00 PM
    kennysarmy
    As a workaround I have installed the VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit which included the dos command "vmware-mount"

I am able to open the "Deployment Tools Command Prompt" then change directory to the VMware Kit directory to run the "vmware-mount" command:

vmware-mount W: "D:\VMs64\Windows7x64.vmdk"

I can then change directory back to the PEtools area and run my imagex command:

imagex /compress fast /check /flags “Professional” /capture W: D:\install.wim "Windows-7-64-2013-02"

I could only get this to work if I replaced the spaces in "Windows 7 64 2013 02" with dashes as above.

It's now sat at the ....Scanning files and directories part of the capture...so hopefully I've cracked it...
  • 26th February 2013, 02:24 PM
    kennysarmy
    Sat at Scanning files and directories for ages but now it's capturing the image :)
  • 18th December 2013, 06:24 AM
    akosiamidala
    What i need to do is capture an image from a VM (Win) to a virtual USB. After that we need to test and deploy the image to another VM.

Is this possible?

Please help.