+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Citrix VDI in a Box versus Citrix XenDesktop VDI Edition in Technical; Hello, I知 just after thoughts from people who have looked at either Citrix VDI in a Box or Citrix XenDesktop ...

Thank Post

Citrix VDI in a Box versus Citrix XenDesktop VDI Edition

Hello,

I知 just after thoughts from people who have looked at either Citrix VDI in a Box or Citrix XenDesktop VDI Edition.

I do like the idea of Citrix VDI in a box as it looks really easy to manage and looks fairly scalable to a few hundred desktops at least, but I知 leaning more towards the XenDesktop solution as it offers the flexibility in the future in terms of the upgrade path to be more advanced editions/features even if it痴 more time consuming to install in the first instance.

Just trying to see if anyone else has compared to the two side by side and what their thoughts were and how they progressed?

Also, has anybody run Citrix XenDesktop VDI edition in a similar fashion to VDI in a box, where they have several physical Hyper-V Servers running desktops from local storage and not from a central SAN?

Thanks for any feedback,

Cheers,

Rob

Thank Post
    There is a licence migration path from VDI in a Box to XenDesktop if you ever need now

Aggges ago when we were first looking at VDI I actually found XenDesktop a little too 'big' for our needs (just 20 desktops) so we went with the simpler option.

3. Thanks to jamesfed from:

robknowles (26th June 2012)

Thank Post
    We use full xen VDI and it's a bit of a monster, management is all over the place.

I saw VDI-IN-A-BOX on the site a few months a go and have been meaning to give it a whirl.

Rob

5. Thanks to twin--turbo from:

robknowles (26th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Hi,

Thanks for your thoughts. I gave VDI in a box a go yesterday. Really nice and easy to setup on a test laptop, bearing in mind I've never touched Hyper V before yesterday (I'm a vSphere user).

We are going to run it on around 80 machines initially. I'm migrating from a RDS setup on 80 of our existing clients to a virtual desktop. I've been using VMWare View for the past 3 years on our other 80 thin clients, the problem is that it's too expensive for both the licensing and server/storage infrastructures.

I'll give Citrix XenDesktop a go next week. I want to see if I can provision storage locally with the Golden Image replicated across the hosts in a VDI in a box fashion. Has done something like this before?

Thanks,

Rob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread